Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other Topics > In Memoriam
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Memoriam Sharing memories of friends and loved ones departed from our world of piping drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
Roger Huth

Default Jim Caution

Jim Caution sadly passed away this morning of a suspected heart attack.

Jim was responsible for teaching me and many other pupils in the London area and was involved in several Pipe Bands including, the 'RAMC', 'Waltham Forest' and 'Blue Bonnets, City of London'

He was a gentleman and there was always good fun to be had when in his company. His family and friends will miss him dreadfully.

Roger
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #2
Adam Sanderson

Default Re: Jim Caution

I am dreadfully shocked and sorry to hear of Jim's passing. I received a Christmas card from Jim and his wife Anna only two days ago. He was also my tutor for the first few years after I moved to North London, and was instrumental in getting me to get in touch with the Scottish Piping Society of London and the London Scottish TA regiment.

Jim was a prize winning solo player in his day, after serving in WW2 he won several prizes in London comps. Apart from training the London Scottish (T.A.) P&D, Jim was also pipe major of the R.A.M.C. (T.A.) who took 1st at the London Open Pipe Band competition with Jim as P/M. One of Jim's proudest piping moments was beating the famous Pipe Major J. B. Robertson, M.B.E. in the piobaireachd event at the Harpenden Highland Gathering.

Jim was a great tutor, always with a twinkle in his eye and a funny quip on his lips. His playing was of the most musical standard, with very light fingering. I remember going for my first lesson with him, and he asked me to play something. I played The 79th's Farewell to Gibralter. He sit and listened, then with a wee smile said. "Others have been teaching you how to play the bagpipe, I will teach you how to play music". He wasn't wrong.

Jim was a very popular man who will be sorely missed. Deepest condolences to Anna, Jo'an, Jim and Robert, Edward, Jimmy, Tina and all members of the Caution family.

Adam Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Neill Mulvie
Forum Regular

I like Adam and Roger had lessons from Jim - from 1960 to 1965. He was natural teacher and I always came away from my lessons feeling good about my playing, which seems to me to be a key measure of how good the tutor is.

And as Adam and Roger have said a lovely man.

Neill
Neill Mulvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:02 AM   #4
Bob Norris
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via ICQ to Bob Norris Send a message via AIM to Bob Norris Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Norris

A great loss,

TOG (The old guy) as he was known to many of us from the bagpipe chat was a great man. Although I never meet him personally I did "chat" with him and Anna on several occasions.

When I told him I wanted to learn the desperate battle he sarcastically said "Why start with such an easy tune" Always the kidder.

As many of you know Jim taught many many people the joy of piping.

I suggest you all have avisit to his site: http://www.btinternet.com/~cheekycaution/jim1.htm

I will miss you brother, see you on the other side
Bob Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:48 AM   #5
piperamjones
Forum Member

I also was fortunate enough to receive tution from Jim while going to school in London. Sadly, it was only a few months but I remember taking the tube to Manor House station and walking to the house. He was always so cheerful and positive. I still think of him fondly and I really enjoyed my time spent with him. He was a great man.
piperamjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
Celtic Mitch
Holy smoking keyboard!

I too was saddened by the loss of Jim. I had never met him in person but chatted with him many many times. He was such a humble man and a true gentleman. It's funny, he never made mention of the pipers he taught, the prizes he'd won or the amazing achievements he made. Like I say, quite a humble man.

I first got to know of him through his stories on the internet of his time spent during the war and became quite fond of him. He always asked how my pipe band career was going and was interested to hear the latest.

I admired the fact, that at his late years, he took up the computer and managed to stay in touch with those of us who were several thousand miles away. My only wish was that I could have met him in person. I think we would have had many laughs.

Rest in peace Jim for a life well spent.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald

Another sad loss; called away by the great artictect

rest in peace brother
Old 12-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Roger Huth

Jim's Funeral will be held by special arrangement on Saturday 5th January at 1000 hours at New Southgate Crematorium Brunswick Park Road N11 1JJ http://www.newsouthgate.com/

Thanks
Roger
Roger Huth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Rick
Forum Silver Medal

I'm another one that never had the privilege of meeting Jim in person. I only knew him as "TOG" on the chat room. I really enjoyed the exchanges we had. I have his memoirs bookmarked, a truly interesting story, and a first hand look at the making of someone of the "Greatest Generation". My condolences to his family. We're all the poorer for his passing.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #10
Ian Lawther

I'm sorry to hear of Jim's passing. I never met him but as a piper in the south east of England his name was one that was popping up from the start of my piping career through people like Neill Mulvie among others. Much later in life I looked at music classes in nights schools in London and was interested to find Jimmy's name still listed as piping instructor.

He had a big influence on piping the London area and will be missed.

Ian
Ian Lawther is offline   Reply With Quote