Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #11
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Extreme Home Makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Sanderson
Of course, there's also an equal amount of us who don't have a clue what you're talking about. Do they have pipes in it?
The premise of the show is that they pick out a family that contributes to the community in some way, and has had problems, usually medical, who lives in a really crappy house. They move the family out, tear down the house and build them a big new one from the dirt up in a week. In this one, the father is a Youth Pastor, and they run a sort of unofficial recreational center for the kids here. Their daughter has a baby with severe respiratory problems, and the house was a tiny old trailer. The new house is about 4000 sq ft, and they're building what looks like a rec center, too.

Today is the big unveiling, so traffic is probably gonna be rough. I can't get off work, so you won't see me in the crowd, dammit.

We can hear the equipment working, but we're far enough away that it's not too loud. Traffic isn't too bad, except they blocked the main road, and we have to detour way out of the way to get home.

And I did see one episode with pipes. The first year, I think, some guy was playing as the family came home. He was WAY in the background, though. You couldn't hear him.

Here's a link to the website, if anyone's interested. www.NevadaExtremeHome.com

Old 01-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
glenlivet
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to glenlivet Send a message via Yahoo to glenlivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz

Several folks at work have asked if I'm gonna be out playing for the unveiling.

NOPE!

It's been about 30 deg or less for the past week, and I'm still a beginner, so I have no intention of making a fool of myself on national television.
I bet I'd still rather hear you than Ty Pennington yelling non-stop. Drives me nuts. Him & the Billy Mays guy from all those commercials hawking stain removers or that mighty putty or whatever the frak he's always shouting about...

Mark
Old 01-19-2008, 05:58 AM   #13
WhiskyPiper
Forum Regular

I did see one epsiode where they had built a backyard playhouse that looked like a castle. I am trying to remember if it was a solo piper or a mini band that marched out of the house when the drawbridge was lowered. STB was the tune that was being played.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 AM   #14
Donald Ross
Forum Clasp

Adam, it's more than a home improvement show, though. To be selected, the family has to be special in some way, somebody you would find it easy to cheer for. They are frequently poor and/or disabilities and frequently the space they are living in does way too small for the family's size.

The show sends them away on a great vacation to Hawaii or Disneyland for a week and when they come back, they have this new, fabulous, larger home with bedrooms custom done in the dweller's interest and usually some other extras like a new car or pick-up truck or money to start a business, etc.

What they really do is give these people a chance at a whole new life.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
Hunter S
Forum Silver Medal

That show did an episode in Fairbanks, a few hourrs drive from where I live...they hired us as professional Paperhangers(My dad did Wallpapering and Painting), so I went up there with him and we did the walls, even got to paper Ty's Secret Room. I even got T-shirt signed by all the designers. That's the way to do it- If you get hired (On a volunteer basis of course) as a contractor or professional then you get free roam of the place as you need it and get to stay for the unveiling and all...
I had my pipes there too, so I went out to the truck and played for a bit. One of the guys heard me and wanted to interview me, so they hooked me up with the mic and all, interviewed me, and had me go all around the place while I played. All the workers ended coming out and dancing while I played. 'Twas goodtimes.
They said it might've ended up on the show, but it ended up on the cutting room floor. Great memories, though, and it sure boosted everyone's energy level. Building a house that fast sure is tiring.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
Celtic Mitch
Holy smoking keyboard!

I quite like this show because it's not about already rich people getting a makeover they don't need or deserve. When I first stated watching it I thought "my god, how are these people going to be able to maintin the house, pay the taxes etc" but often a local business helps the family out with paying their heating bills or whatever is needed. I have seen homes built that are self sufficient in the way of solar energy. They have even sent kids to college. As annoying as Ty might seem, they do good things for people that truly need it.

Thanks for sharing that Linz. Please, let us know when it airs.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

Re-initating this thread. For those who are interested, the show will air this Sunday, 9 March. The finished place is FABULOUS! I've talked to a number of people in the neighborhood, and they all say these folks really deserved it.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #18
Psycho
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Im looking forward to it. I like the show with the exception of Ty. If that #$%%^$ came to my house at 8am with that stupid blow horn, I'd have to ram it up his taped A-Hole, or tie him to a chair and make him listen to an untuned bagpipe and see how he likes it.

Now Paige on the other hand, I think I have fallen in love with her.

Anyway, can't wait to see it.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #19
Piper_06
Holy smoking keyboard!

Thanks for the heads up Linz, I will try and catch it.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

The thing nobody in the show mentions is the new tax bracket the people who get the house end up with!

The Infernal Revenue Service wins in the end - along with the property tax assessor!