Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-18-2003, 06:27 PM   #1
Speeder
Forum Gold Medal

Default Oh no!! Another crack!!

I must be jinxed. First my antique Grainger PC cracked, then the blowpipe on my pipes cracked and now the air chamber on my brand new Kron AB PC has developed a crack.

I faithfully took the PC apart after each use, blew it out and stood the air chamber up to dry. The house is neither too humid nor too dry, neither too hot nor too cold. In it's short life, the PC has never been knocked, jarred or mistreated (other than by my usual playing ).

I'm devastated and getting gun shy about AB. I originally ordered the PC with a poly air chamber but liked the look of the AB with the nickel ferrule so much that I had it ordered specially. It even seemd to improve the sound.

Admittedly, I'm a wet blower but this is getting ridiculous. The Grainger I could understand as it had been sitting around for years without being played and I probably should have oiled it. The blowpipe on my pipes was a known problem with the manufacture. But the PC????? This is getting frustrating.

Am I doomed to be a polypenco pie eyed piping pupil??? HELP!!!!!
Old 01-18-2003, 10:20 PM   #2
Chief47
Forum Regular

Default Re: Oh no!! Another crack!!

Don't worry Bob. Trouble is known to travel in threes. Every thing from hereon should be good.

Chief
Old 01-18-2003, 10:46 PM   #3
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Admittedly, I'm a wet blower but this is getting ridiculous.
That says most of it. 'I probably should have oiled it' says the rest.

NEVER buy a practice chanter with a wooden top. They will ALWAYS split - either right away, or later on. It's not worth the headache to spend the extra money.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:46 AM   #4
Speeder
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
NEVER buy a practice chanter with a wooden top. They will ALWAYS split - either right away, or later on. It's not worth the headache to spend the extra money.
Pipe makers must have got rich selling replacements in the days before polypenco.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
Les Matheson
Forum Clasp

Send a message via AIM to Les Matheson

NEVER buy a practice chanter with a wooden top. They will ALWAYS split - either right away, or later on. It's not worth the headache to spend the extra money.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I have an all wood PC from Lawrie, that I got in 1978. Still going, no cracks, "knock on wood."

Les

It's difficult to make a man understand something when his paycheck depends on his not understanding it. Upton Sinclair
Old 01-19-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Iain Sherwood
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Pipe makers must have got rich selling replacements in the days before polypenco
In the OLD old days, when practice chanters were only $8, most people would just buy a new chanter, because they sold the tops for $6...I still have the chanter I got forty years ago, made by Christie in Sydney, Australia. The top is split through the ferrule. My silver mounted long pc is also cracked in the top, and it's only six years old.

You can reduce the split by soaking the top in almond oil for a month. It should close up; then about every two weeks re-immerse it for a day or two, which will keep it from opening up again.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:12 PM   #7
Chairman Mao
Holy smoking keyboard!

Or just wrap the whole thing in electrical tape....
Old 01-19-2003, 07:44 PM   #8
redhairedpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

...or buy a (shudder)...polypenco practice chanter... (did I say that outloud???) Sorry, I had a bad experience with my poly, and love my wood...My personal opinion only...
Old 01-19-2003, 11:50 PM   #9
Reinhold
Forum Member

I have two wooden practice chanters, both made by Gillanders&McLeod. One is a normal size and is made of Maple (Acer Montanus). I play it now for more than 30 years. The other is a long practice chanter, made of ABW with a blackwood top also. I play it for more than 15 years. Both are regularly oiled, at least every four weeks.
The never cracked !
Also my ABW pipes are in best condition - thanks to oiling.
reinhold
Old 01-20-2003, 01:23 AM   #10
deiv
Forum Regular

i also have a Maple (Acer Montanus) practice chanter, great sound, better than poly, and it's very difficult that this wood crack, max it warping but don't change sound quality.
The most request of business market has lowered the quality of blackwood, so today is frequently that some part of this wood crack. The most problem are the bad season of wood, but it don't depend by pipemaker.
Bye