Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Technique & Instrument Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Archive Old threads from the Technique and Instrument Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-02-2003, 01:54 AM   #1
viper
Forum Regular

Default Champion Chanters

Im looking for the perfect Practice chanter.

I know everyone opinion of the "perfect" practice chanter is different....and thet depends a lot on the person playing it to be able to pick that "perfect" sound.

I would love to hear the views of people that have a great ear to be able to tell that "winning" sound. ( sorry to discriminate against the rest....but i have tryed HEAPS of chanters and yet to get one that im happy with ).

Also what chanter/reed combo do u use?

VIPER
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-02-2003, 07:04 AM   #2
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Champion Chanters

"Winning sound"? It's a practice chanter, for Pete's sake. Unless you're planning on competing eternally in chanter class, it's sort of a "who cares?" issue to me.
OK, Viper, I'm not putting down your desire to have a nice sounding chanter. As with any thread on whose pipes?, whose drums?, etc. (threads I would guess Bob and the Moderators continually wish to avoid) I would just offer that any reputable pipemaker's PC--in AB or other fine wood--will serve your desire for a "winning sound". Those same makers would likely have the most informed idea of the right reed for their particular chanter. Good hunting.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:34 PM   #3
viper
Forum Regular

Actually I feel you a wrong on this one.

Why play a instrument that sounds poor? Its not going to motivate you to keep on play it.

My theroy is that if i going to spend a great deal of time play the darm thing , i would rather play somthing with nice tone and emphatic.

You wouldn't want to play a set of pipes with out of tune drones, so why on the practice chanter??

Just my views anyway

VIPER
Old 06-02-2003, 01:57 PM   #4
Chris Hamilton

I agree ... no one should tolerate a poor-sounding practice chanter. It should be musical and tonally pleasant.

Chris
Old 06-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #5
SDowns
Forum Silver Medal

My previous instructor and another fellow piper both have practice chanters made my David Corriher (sp?).
The pc sounds wonderful...it costs about $160.00 or so USD.
I am not sure how to obtain one though.

Maybe one of the two guys will show up here and tell you where you can get one.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:29 PM   #6
PiperT
Forum Gold Medal

Viper,
Get in touch with me by private message and I will give you the info on the Currie chanter.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:35 PM   #7
SDowns
Forum Silver Medal

Ahhh, I knew you'd show up. Thanks PiperT.

By the way, there was a great picture of you in the Salisbury Post.

Take care.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:08 PM   #8
Piper1921
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Send a message via AIM to Piper1921

This is my first post but I have to agree with the post two reply's ago, I got a Currie chanter about three years ago, what sound, rich and full...
Old 06-03-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
Lawrie Silverberg
Forum Member

Jeff,

How are the holes shaped, i.e. smoothly chamfered like a Nail or sharp edged like a Walsh? If you've heard either of these, is the
Currie really that much better in sound, enough to pitch the Nail and get the Currie?

Lawrie
Old 06-03-2003, 05:34 PM   #10
Bruce McLellan
Forum Member

I too would like to know more about the Currie PC. Is it in tune with itself? How would you compare it to the sound of a Naill, Gibson, Walsh etc. Who sells them? What brand of reeds do you use with the Currie?

Thanks in advance for more info.