Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #1
Deckeration
Forum Regular

Default Set up

I recently purchased PM Brett Tidswell's CDs from his website, and I must have listened to that 1st disc about 30 times, and it still never gets old. I was wondering if anyone knew what his set up was for that recording? I just loved the big sound of drones (old Hendersons?) when he strikes in for each tune, and the chanter sounds so balanced with the drones. Thanks for the help.
Thanks,
Andy
Deckeration is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Thom Lenahan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Set up

Andy,

You should just ask the man himself...forum member PMT

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/...=newpm&u=30951

you can also ask him about that 6/8 as well.......

Thom

Last edited by Thom Lenahan; 08-31-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: add a line!
Thom Lenahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Deckeration
Forum Regular

Great idea, thanks. So Thom do you have any guess? I sent an email to PMT, but My guess is that he is using Kintail drones, ezeedrone tenors and a cane bass. For the chanter.... After listening to the recordings from his website, I would guess New Henderson chanter with a MacPhee reed. Just a guess, and I will let you know what I find out.
Andy
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Thom Lenahan
Holy smoking keyboard!

No idea Andy as I haven`t had the pleasure of hearing his cd. I think I remember PMT saying in a post that he has Kintail drones as well as some custom made "Henderson" bored drones,so,you may well be correct........let us know!

Thom
Thom Lenahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Deckeration
Forum Regular

the recording was done with his 1930 Henderson's with ezeedrone tenors and a crozier bass. The chanter was a McC2 with a Warnock reed. If you have not had the pleasure to have a listen to his CDs, you are truly missing out. The recordings are top notch and the playing is out of this world (big surprise). Brett has put together a great mix of tunes on his CD, there is a really great flow to the album for sure.
Andy
Old 09-01-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Deckeration
Forum Regular

Here is the website where I purchased the CDs from:
http://www.schoolofpiping.com/sale.htm

I would be very interested in hearing what anyone else thinks of the recordings.
Andy
Old 09-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
CKPIPES
Forum Member

The recording is very enjoyable. Brett Tidswell has contributed so much to our effort. His publication, his web site and his recording are a generous collection representing what is best in piping and reminds me why I love it so much.
CKPIPES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
Deckeration
Forum Regular

Another thing I so enjoy about this cd is that every time i pop it in I hear something new and interesting. I put it in tonight and sat back to listen, by track #2 I was totally into that wall of sound coming from the drones. However, during track #4 the MSR, my focus fell directly on the tone and pitch of the chanter. I was just blown away at how amazing it sounded coming from a cd. I have a solid collection of piping CDs, and I swear I have never heard a chanter / drone combo sound that fantastic on a studio album. Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy my collection of piping CDs, but they are studio recordings. I'm not sure what the process was for Brett's recording, but he definitly capture, in my opinion, a very live sound. Again, anyone else that has had a chance to get a copy and have a listen, please let me know what you think.
Thanks again
Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #9
Piper McScrooge
Forum Regular

He list 2 CD's on his site. Which one are you listening too?

Thanks,

Steve
Piper McScrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Deckeration
Forum Regular

I was referring to disk 1, but both disks are outstanding.