Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
TheHaggisMaster
Forum Silver Medal

Default Corking...

Anybody ever thought about or gone ahead with using cork instead of hemp when it comes to joints? Some, all, none? Recommendations or thoughts? I'm just think that since it's a dry instrument when it's bellows blown, could this be a better or worse option?

I've had some friends do this with their GHB to some success but I wonder about the long term?

HM

Last edited by TheHaggisMaster; 05-17-2016 at 06:36 AM.
TheHaggisMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Corking...

I used to cork my joints on all my pipes- GHB, SSP, Lowland pipes, and when they goy compressed through use, re-juvenated the cork by applying cork grease and gently heating over a candle flame. Why do I use hemp now? I found, over time, that the grease eventually penetrated all the way to the wood, causing the cork to let go. Picture your truly re-hemping a failed cork joint a few hours before a gig. Since then, it's been real hemp and ( believe it or not) lip balm for me.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
longwind
Holy smoking keyboard!

Like the lip balm trick. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by longwind; 05-17-2016 at 12:58 PM.
longwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:18 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

The issue with cork is that traditionally, woodwind instruments spend the majority of their lives in the fully dismantled state. Pipes don't. The stuff therefore ends up compressed.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:19 AM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

It's worth mentioning, the gaita makers use some sort of rubber material which does the same job and presumably is longer lasting. It might well be a good option.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Shawn Husk
Holy smoking keyboard!

Cork will compress and eventually wear out. O-rings can not be finely tuned....the solution: real hemp. Not the yellow stuff but real hemp. It's available from several retailers, the Piper's Hut being one and from Tedley here (he's a member).

www.huskreeds.com
Shawn Husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

I have corked (GHP) pipes 3 times with real and synthetic cork. Just glued on with contact cement. 3 times because the first 2 times it compressed and I found myself wrapping hemp on top of the cork.
The third time has been fantastic and is still working years later just fine...but I have to admit that I don't remember if it is the real or synthetic that is on there at this point.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote