Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Piobaireachd
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Piobaireachd For all things related to Piobaireachd ...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-24-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

Default Ground & first variation competition question

Hello,
If one is playing in a ground and first variation contest, do you play the ground, variation and then the first line of the ground again to finish? How does that work? Thanks, Ralph Drew
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-24-2017, 04:22 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: ground and first variation competition question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Hello,
If one is playing in a ground and first variation contest, do you play the ground, variation and then the first line of the ground again to finish? How does that work? Thanks, Ralph Drew
It would be prudent to confirm this in your local PBA rules ( if sanctioned games) ...rather than depend on someone here ...and maybe get it wrong.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
wwx
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

El gaitero is right, check the rules. But there will almost certainly be no rule against doing so. Also a great opportunity to play one of those pieces that only has a ground and a variation or two if you can (I like hihorodo hao) You don't otherwise get to play those in a competition.
wwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Definitely check the rules of the sanctioning organization. BUT ... to be fair though, I've got to say there can often be some ambiguity in the rules with some of the the competition associations. This makes it hard to just "go by the rules." I've found this to be difficult, from time to time.

I would suggest the original poster specify the area/association in question, so that at least some folks on here from that area could try and help out based on their own experience.

But as mentioned, unless commenters are direct representatives of that authority, their contributions should be thought of as "helpful, but unconfirmed." If possible, I would try to gain confirmation by trying to contact the sanctioning organization thru their website/social media/email.

If they don't get back to you, then at least you'll have the helpful input of kind, informed folks on here (of which there are a great many).

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hey, Ralph. BCPA rules/music guidelines just indicate "ground and next variation" for Grade 4. You would not be subject to dismissal if you play just those. However, I suggest that you e-mail or call one of the Colins, Jeff, or another judge. I wouldn't be surprised if you get varied responses; but you'll get some sense of their preference.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
Ron Teague
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have often thought about this. I wonder if the doubling of the Urlar counts as a variation? Now not all tunes have a doubling of the Urlar but some do.

The Cheesy Piobaireachd Player
Ron Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

Ron, in WUSPBA-land it is ground plus whichever variation immediately follows the ground, regardless of what it is called.
Randy Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
Andrew Lenz

Default Re: Ground & first variation competition question

This was one of my beefs with the wording of the rules for piobaireachd. Here in WUSPBA territory, it was originally just the ground that was played in Grade IV. Then they changed the rules to be "ground and doubling of the ground" which caused all kinds of confusion since—by the book—you might have to skip, say, a thumb variation, to get to the literal "ground doubling". Eventually, it went to "Ground and 1st Variation" which was also problematic when it comes to terminology.

Check with your association, but it's almost certainly the ground plus whatever is the next section (variation, doubling, whatever) then you stop. No need to play anything else—and in fact, playing anything else adds the risk of messing up.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #9
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

Thanks for all the comments. I have written the games for some clarification but i like the idea of atopping without repeating thebfirst line of the ground again.
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Andrew Lenz

You should check with your pipe band association (BC Pipers), not the games:
http://www.bcpipers.org/about/contacts/

It looks like Moira Mack (entries@bcpipers.org) is the one to contact.

(Trust me, I've run a solo piping competition and am a former Executive Secretary for the Western United States Pipe Band Association.)

Andrew

p.s. I'll bet you $100 right now that they will not require you to go back and repeat the first line of the ground after playing just the ground and first variation. There's virtually zero chance that that is required!

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 06-27-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote