Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #11
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Steady pressure and repurposing equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Law View Post
Always fun to play with stuff like this, for interest's sake....

But even easier, and saving yourself a few bucks in the process is simply to listen to the sound you're making....if the drone tone is steady, the pressure is constant....it doesn't get much simpler than that, and you can play all 3 drones and chanter at the same time...

Not all beginners can hear steady drones.
A manometer is a great visual tool that ANYONE with no experience can see if the needle/water is steady.
Why wouldn't you want to use any available tool to help?
Even with minimal use, they will quickly pick up how to properly blow steady and make the transition during breathing. The manometer will show any unsteadiness they may not hear.

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #12
Steve Law
Forum Regular

Default Re: Steady pressure and repurposing equipment

Oh dear, that's just the reaction I hoped wouldn't happen....let me explain..

I don't think a manometer is a necessarily a bad idea, just unnecessary.

With water wings, someone learning to swim can go through the motions whilst being supported, and as confidence and technique is gained, can gradually reduce the bouyancy until he's swimming unaided...all the time, his actions are the same.

If someone starts by using a manometer, there's no way to gradually withdraw its use, and all the time he's relying on it, he's not learning to use his ears.

A piper cannot manage without his ears (although I guess a deaf player might benefit, although I've never met one), so NEEDS to learn how to use them to maintain tone, pitch and a number of other attributes...once one starts to rely on things like manometers I just think it will be harder, not easier, to transition to reliance on the Mk 1 eardrum eventually.

My point is that you already have the best tool...your ears....why would you want something less efficient when you already have the real McCoy?

I can see a use for a manometer when asking a reedmaker for a particular strength of reed (e.g. send me some between 30-35 inches), but unless you're going really sophisticated with a manometer tapped into the side of a stock, what you'll be playing with it plugged in the end of a drone will be different to where you'll end up anyway....why makes life complicated when it doesn't need to be?

If we assume our newbie can't hear wavering tone at all there's a dozen ways to expose him to experience without resorting to instrumentation.

As I said to begin with, there's fun to be had playing with this stuff for interest, but I honestly think it's bordering on counter-productive to begin a piping careeer by relying on tooling.

Only my opinion and I don't want to argue over it...
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote