Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-25-2019, 05:42 AM   #31
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Head shakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Interesting. Our thing was set up differently, with instruments done in pairs, so one semester trumpet/French horn, one semester trombone/tuba, one semester oboe/clarinet, one semester violin/viola, one semester Highland bagpipes pipes.

(One can dream...)
…how could I have forgotten, one semester on percussion, where we had to play on snare, timpany, xylophone. ( My first parade with the pipe band was as substitute bass drummer, which is also how I started my musical career in 9th grade)

Last edited by Klondike Waldo; 08-25-2019 at 05:50 AM.
Klondike Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-26-2019, 02:45 AM   #32
David
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwitchyFingers View Post
Guy comes up to me in a parade with the band:
"Are there actual songs for the bagpipe, or do you just make it up as you go along?"
Me: "Yeah, we're all so magically psychic that 20 of us can make it up as we go along and be in unison."
A custom small-tour group guide in the Highlands, himself a Highlander, told our little group of five, that, in battle, pipers would all just wiggle their fingers over the holes, each piper doing his own thing, and make horrible frightening noises to put off the enemy. I mentioned piobaireachd, the years of musical training, the specific notes for each melody, the precise tuning--later on, privately, away from his other customers. An Israeli correcting a Highlander about Highland bagpipes was a grand faux pas.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #33
Bob Harper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
...all just wiggle their fingers over the holes..and make horrible frightening noises..
But David - we've all seen this done.
Bob Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #34
Texas Gael
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
A custom small-tour group guide in the Highlands, himself a Highlander, told our little group of five, that, in battle, pipers would all just wiggle their fingers over the holes, each piper doing his own thing, and make horrible frightening noises to put off the enemy. I mentioned piobaireachd, the years of musical training, the specific notes for each melody, the precise tuning--later on, privately, away from his other customers. An Israeli correcting a Highlander about Highland bagpipes was a grand faux pas.
Not to mention the badly grammatical Gaelic encountered at the various museums throughout the Highlands. Typical was the "Son of Aoidh" example at the Mackay museum in Strahnaver. It's not Son of Aoidh, it's Son of Aedh - Aoidh is the possessive case of Aedh. Get our name right! Obviously, non-Gaelic speakers were used.

Cheers -

Wes
Texas Gael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM   #35
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

Perhaps... an Old Saw... but with New Teeth... at
least for this Thread... (Stolen from Ambrose Bierce. :)

And from an above Post... "You can tune those?!"

"How do you get two pipers to play in unison?
Easy!... Just shoot one of them." :)

Regards to All.

Pip01