Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
piping-hot
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Favorite piper??

My favorite piper ever has to be Gordon Duncan. What other piper have you ever heard of that has composed more than 30 good tunes. Many of which have flats and sharps in them. Mind blowing stuff. It's a shame he passed away recently.

My favorite piper alive has to be Fred Morrison. He is a good composer, and is a very talented whistle,highland pipes and uilliean pipes player.

Top notch both of them
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-28-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
DoogieG
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Favorite piper??

where do you start!! Angus MacColl...John D Burgess....Dr Angus MacDonald....Roddy MacDonald ( obviously..Im awaiting publishing of his book!!) Martyn Bennet.....where do you end??
Old 12-28-2005, 10:10 PM   #3
Steve S.
Forum Gold Medal

I have alot of the Master series and my personal favorite is Jack Lee. Every recording I have heard his pipes sound outstanding and the playing is extemely clean and precise.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Redneck No1
Forum Member

Got to agree wa piping-hot, Gordon was an excellent piper and guy. I had the pleasure of playin' with him in Lorient years back. Ian 'n him were then with the Vale, I was with the Robert Armstrong Memorial, after our band duties Gordon 'n I would take our pipes 'n go buskin' around the various wee bars, great memories.

Uillien pipes:- the best I ever heard (live) again in Lorient was Paddy Keenan.Outstanding piper, I would reccomend y'all try 'n get some of his recordings. Ya won't be dissapointed.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:26 AM   #5
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Doogie's right! Where to start (or finish)!

Without making selections (I have too many), I would simply ask, "Favorite for what style?" My favorite for piobaireachd isn't the same for MSRs or for hornpipes, jigs, and so forth. Also, I have some favorites as pipers for dancers that wouldn't make my other lists.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
jjzolnik
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Gotta go with Angus MacDonald. I had the very fortunate pleasure of getting lessons from home about 10 years ago at the Ohio Scottish Arts School when he was a guest Instructor. Never met a piper quite like him.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:51 PM   #7
Drew52
Forum Clasp

Send a message via AIM to Drew52

Stu Liddel!! Not only is he a great piper, but once at PHSD (or this one time at band camp ) I started to spray him with a hose that I found, and he can running at me full force and tackeled me down a hill!! but yeah I would have to say him...

Drew Brown
DRPPB

Sir James Murdoch III of Durham
Old 12-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #8
PiperLaddie
Forum Silver Medal

Send a message via AIM to PiperLaddie

Rob Crabtree. A joy to hear at Summer piping school recitals, a good friend, and an excellent teacher.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:27 AM   #9
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

Willie McCallum. The Best. So many great pipers, but Willie is #1.
And a really nice guy too.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:38 AM   #10
Itchyknee
Holy smoking keyboard!

I really like Angus MacColl's nice steady and controlled playing, some of my favorites are his 4/4 marches. Fred Morrison's interpretation of the music and laid back style on his sound of the sun CD was a breath of fresh air for me. Of course Gordon Duncan is one of my all time favorites. I love Lorient Mornings.

Marcus