Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Never see old Naills

I can see why they hesitated or at least delayed the move to the brittle stuff... it's brittle!

And Hardie began using strange stuff with marble swirls in it that would always crack in the junctures between the two different colours of stuff.

Dunbar had long used very tough stuff, I think the very stuff that McCallum has switched to now.

Gibson used stuff that looked like nylon, very durable but not looking much like ivory.

Shepherd was the only GHB maker I saw using the extremely nice German stuff with full ivory grain (if in a mount of the right shape).
Old 06-06-2014, 05:29 AM   #12
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Three possible reasons why you just don't see then for sale:-

1. They are an excellent instrument & people just want to hang on to them.
2. If someone wants to sell a set, the reputation of Naill's is so good that one doesn't need to advertise them. As soon as you mantion a second hand set of Naill's for sale in piping circles there is usually someone who immediately says "I/a friend/a pupil/a bandmate will have those".
3. Every Naill bagpipe, whether the entry level DN0 or full silver DN6 is fundamentally the same instrument 'under the skin' therefore allowing the owner to send it back to the workshop to have more 'bling' added as the desire occurs or funds allow!
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #13
Craic Piper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
Every Naill bagpipe, whether the entry level DN0 or full silver DN6 is fundamentally the same instrument 'under the skin' therefore allowing the owner to send it back to the workshop to have more 'bling' added as the desire occurs or funds allow!
While this is true...it is worth noting that Naill has changed their beading style. When I had my blowstick replaced (with the same catalin mount) the new one had much shallower beading with a far less severe curve to it.
Craic Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
Piper Jake
Forum Regular

The only thing I wish my 2001 DN's has was that little bead on the nickel ferrules. It is what it is, every time I get to thinking I wish I sprung for a half silver set, is that I know they sound the same as a half silver set. That's the little game I play with myself. Unless I hit the number, or win a set somewhere. The DN1's will be my lifelong set. That little bead he's putting on the ferrules now is my only real fault (if that's the right word to use) with my set.
Piper Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
3sheets86
Forum Regular

Is there a chance that they might pick what they deem to be the best, most well seasoned wood for a set of say, DN6's?

I keep promising that I am going to save for the next 2 years to buy a set of full silver pipes for my 30th birthday, however, I'd feel a bit unworthy because I'm only a learner/amateur, although I do practice a fair bit. I would be worried that other people would look at them and think that I must rate myself a lot higher than my actual ability which wouldn't be the case at all. I just like nice stuff.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 AM   #16
ralph
Forum Silver Medal

Hello,
A bandmate of mine when I was kid bought his Naill's in 1993 and they were Catalin. They were new, and not likely old stock as Naill's were the go to pipes at the time and were selling like hotcakes I am sure. Ralph Drew
ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #17
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3sheets86 View Post
Is there a chance that they might pick what they deem to be the best, most well seasoned wood for a set of say, DN6's?
No! All wood selected & seasoned exactly the same. I've know Les & Martin for many years & have visited the workshop from when it was a small affair in Buckinghamshire 35 years ago to most recently less than a year ago at the factory in Somerset. The constant factors are the extended length of time Naill's season the wood for, and the amount of the process which is still done by hand by their master craftsmen. I recently purchased two sets of pipes from Naill on behalf of young members of the Scottish Piping Society of London. One was an 'entry level' set of DN0s and the other a mid-range set. The sound of both was identical (and outstanding!).

Craic Piper mentioned the shallower beading on the more recent Naill pipes as opposed to the deep combing after the style of Henry Starck (to whom Les was apprenticed many years ago). I asked Martin about this recently and he told me the change was just his own cosmetic preference. I'm sure anyone wanting a replacement part would only have to ask for Naill's to supply one to the 'old' style.

I am an unashamed fan of Naill pipes (in case you hadn't guessed!) and particularly their chanters. They have been possibly the most consistently successful solo chanter ever and I believe that under the 'Roddy MacLeod RJM brand name' they are making in-roads to the band world. Torphichen & Bathgate grade 2 British Champions just last weekend using this chanter I understand.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
3sheets86
Forum Regular

Roddy,

Thanks for that. I'm not disappointed at all as I know that everything they make is to a very high standard. The reason I wondered is because I play the guitar and this is what some of the top guitar makers do.
3sheets86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
Dave Sanderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

I've been playing a set Les made in 1954 for about the past 20 years, why would I change? From 08:00 tune up, morning & afternoon rehearsal, Regimental parade, till 19:45 pipe in the head table just tweaks of the drones as the temperature changed throughout the day. Simply a pleasure to play.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #20
Rooklidge
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sanderson View Post
I've been playing a set Les made in 1954 for about the past 20 years, why would I change? From 08:00 tune up, morning & afternoon rehearsal, Regimental parade, till 19:45 pipe in the head table just tweaks of the drones as the temperature changed throughout the day. Simply a pleasure to play.
So Henry Starcks, Dave? Too bad they moved away from the deep beading. It's so distinctive.
Rooklidge is offline   Reply With Quote