Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music Groups
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Groups Piping in Folk, Rock, and other bands or groups

Platinum Sponsors

Old 10-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #11
Nathaniel
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Setting up a new Pipers club (for beginners)

A pub on an off night or during day hours.
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 11-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by maz View Post
Sounds like a great idea. I would definitely come along and could certainly benefit from it. I'm in a bit of an awkward position myself as I work shifts so cant dedicate myself to a pipeband and I'm nowhere near good enough to solo, so it would be nice to have a place to learn or offer support! Let me know if there's anything I can do. My instructor is well connected also so might be able to give advice if there’s anything your unsure of.
I'm so sorry, I missed this post a few weeks ago. I haven't moved this forward as yet but if and when I do, I'll be sure to give you a shout. All assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies again for missing what I see was your first post to the forum. Welcome and thanks for your comments. (I'm going to drop you a wee PM now, hope that's ok)
Bluescottygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
GordonLawrie
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescottygirl View Post
Thanks, Adam.

There is an element of not reinventing the wheel but when I went looking a while back the only two clubs I found didn't admit ladies.....
Unbelievable ! Is that the current situation ?

I've had experience of setting up a fiddle group. It's more teaching oriented than performance though.

My advice is to be firm about how you want to see the group develop and don't try to please everybody (you won't succeed).

If you're looking for a sizeable catchment area I'd suggest going for a 3 hour slot on a Saturday evening every couple of weeks - or monthly. That makes it worth travelling.

A good format might be to have some kind of presentation/recital/advice clinic for an hour - then some refreshments for 30 mins - then "open mic".
GordonLawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:09 AM   #14
WeegiePiper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

@Bluescottygirl, your idea sounds great and definitely the type of group I'm looking for. Did you manage to make any progress on it? Where were you looking to set it up?
WeegiePiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:37 AM   #15
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

In a curious change of direction I've recently emigrated and have hooked up with a local pipe band and a very enthusiastic solo scene. My new PM and I are keen to form a piping society primarily to encourage solo playing and maybe people who are passing through would be inclined to pop in for a tune.

It's still at the "in the works" stage and currently everyone is very focused on my new country's ONLY solo and pipe band competition of the year. It's coming up in two weeks so we're waiting until after that to put our ideas into motion. We have a venue, a schedule and are bouncing around ideas for the structure of the evening. The focus will be on solo playing and I'm hoping to incorporate one piobaireachd to be played at each session.

Nae pies though!
Old 05-30-2017, 03:51 AM   #16
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

You are in Singapore now?!
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #17
Bluescottygirl
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
You are in Singapore now?!
Ya

I'm here now.