Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Adult Pipers
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Adult Pipers Related to Adult piping or pipers, this is the place.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
jedburgh
Forum Regular

Default First solo competition

I hate to see the "adult" section go so silent so here goes.

I'm in my 7th decade and although I have piped for a while, I came at it all wrong (sort of self taught with some help from family; street band tuition and finally post retirement group lessons at a local piping school).

The local branch of the Province's piping society holds an over 40 3 part solo competition so I gave it a try?

The first leg was a 2/4. As was to be expected, I was a little nervous, but played with "technically some good things to say". Placed 2nd.

The 2nd leg was an air into a 6/8. Nerves were under control, but I was experiencing some health problems around the time of this outing. Played anyway and the comments weren't too bad. Drones not 100% locked in but pipe held. Solid controlled tempos". Again 2nd.

The 3rd part were finals. It was a medley of our choosing (4 tune types min time of 2:30). The first two legs, us oldsters played first so my audience was the judge, steward, bartender and family. For the final, piping followed drumming and the audience went from about 5 to around 50. I played a 9/8 march, 2 jigs, an air, a strathspey finishing with a hornpipe (minimum repeats so about 3:45). Unfortunately, I'd spent half the time between these two nights getting patched up so was a bit down on power and it showed. "Chanter well balanced, drones drifted". But for the playing "Nice start, good transitions, very steady tempo throughout. Very nice music, enjoyable performance. Unfortunately seemed to struggle with strength of instrument". Again 2nd.

I'm don't think competition should be the be/end all of our music, but it is part and I'm glad I finally gave it a try. Already thinking about what I could play in the next season's event.

So the purpose of this rant is go ahead shake off the nerves, find a suitable event and give competition a go. It makes you pay attention and even though there may not be time left to impress as many people with your prowess as there would have been if you'd started in your youth, we're supposed to be playing for ourselves and the music.

Jed
Old 06-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
John Blunt
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: First solo competition

Jed:

Good to hear about another old guy making the jump into competition. It's also nice to have opportunities at Games to play in classes that divide out with a thought toward age as well as accomplishment. I'm also in my 7th decade (is that possible?) and have bounced between Grade IV and the Adult class. I started a decade ago and use competitions as a good barometer to how I am doing and where to concentrate improvement efforts. There is nothing wrong with your results and it shows that you can put together a medley and execute it. Congrats and, after it's all done, there is the Beer Tent.

JMB
John Blunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #3
Andrew Lenz

Congrats! Many pipers don't have the will or fortitude to even give competition a try.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Linz
Holy smoking keyboard!

I started competing at 60. I'd had my pipes for about 8 years when I started thinking about competing, but I was really crappy. Moved, got a good teacher who worked hard with me, and convinced me to give it a try. I've done 10 competitions now, and gotten 3rd, 4th, 5th and two 6ths. I'm 64, and having the time of my life. You're NEVER too old....
Old 06-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Good on you, Linz! I hear so many who fail to start, as though it's too late (and as you said, one's never too old). Or they say, "I wish I'd started when I was younger." Well, if my math is correct, you've now had 12 years of piping under your belt and having fun; as opposed to bemoaning never having started. Good show!
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:17 PM   #6
Mojo52
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

I am 64 and just started chanter lessons 2 years ago have my pipes joined a local band Alloa Bowmar hope to get out with the band soon
Mojo52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ah, jedburgh, and All,

So very good to see you... and the others here who
have joined in... making this jump into your and their
heretofore... unknown waters.

All... and for myself included... reminiscent of any of
our first "public" playing... and our fervent prayer; "Oh
Lord! Please help me not to make a great and bollixed
dog's breakfast out of all of this!!"

And the more 'tis done... the less internal consternation
there is... :) and the more latitude there is for improvement.

Congratulations to you (!!) ... and to all who choose... to
give this part of The Game... a proper go!!

Regards to You, and to All Who so Strive,

Pip01

Last edited by Pip01; 06-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
Pppiper
Forum Regular

Glad I'm not alone. I'm in my mid-thirties, and I'm soon reentering the ring again now, for the first time in over 20 years.

One quote from the original poster grabs me in particular, in relation to all this:

Quote:
I'm don't think competition should be the be/end all of our music, but it is part and I'm glad I finally gave it a try. Already thinking about what I could play in the next season's event.
I'll be doing the same this year, and I'm thinking the very same thing.

Cheers to you, and best of luck in your endeavors ... I daresay, you have the right idea already!

Cheers,
~Nate
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
oldsoldier
Forum Gold Medal

Stories like this make me want to at least try a solo comp. I have played with bands since 2007. We competed the first few years I played but, honestly, I despised band competition. We had a couple pipers who were fine, until comp day-then they would play wrong tunes, early E, trailing drones, etc. As we only had just enough to compete, we never cut anyone (and, to be honest, we are an all volunteer band, cutting someone is kind of frowned upon).
Anyway, I took a few years off from piping-marriage, divorce, career change-and just last year got back into it again. Currently playing with a service band. I want to try my hand at solo comp. I have a long ways to go, technicality wise, but I am in my late 40s, and I feel NOW is the time. I want to get serious about playing.
Thanks for sharing this. Every little bit of motivation helps!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post

I want to try my hand at solo comp. I have a long ways to go... Every little bit of motivation helps!
Good on you. To make it work out...and if wanting to win ...at least sometimes....strongly suggest spend $ on weekly face to face lessons with a local competent instructor...and/or one who might also be a judge in your region Pipe Band association...so you'll know you've got some who has been there/done that. There are lots in MA.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote