Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: eBay Scammer, BEWARE - Henderson pipes

Oh the hyperbole!
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
DapperDan
Forum Regular

I can be a little slow on the uptake sometimes... but I'm fascinated by scams and try to be aware of them, so I have to ask, how would the implied scam work, exactly? Someone copied pictures from someone else's ad, and would ship something of much lesser quality? Or ship nothing and just keep the money, and shift to another ebay username when this one gets shut down? I could see a few scenarios, including a middleman type hustle where he figures he could get more money than the original seller and is trying to get in between to get a cut, but was wondering what the OP and others suspected, or recognized.

Last edited by DapperDan; 09-19-2019 at 04:45 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #13
Andrew Lenz

Set up an account. Legitimately sell a few items. Get positive reviews. Illegitimately list a high ticket item using photos from someone else's posting. Get paid. Say item has shipped. Delay, delay, delay when queried. Close account, keep free money.

Andrew

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." ---Mark Twain
Andrew Lenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
MacTallanambeann
Forum Silver Medal

I have to say that I have never come across one with bagpipes before but I was part of a group of guitar enthusiasts who put pressure on ebay a while back about a guitar scam one. In that instance the scammer hacked a legitimate account which had respectable feedback and they then set about changing what Paypal account etc. was to be used and then, using a huge number of stolen photos of rare and valuable Gretsch guitars, among other things they created their listings including instructions not to use the Ebay system but rather, to contact them directly through a website they had set up to arrange payment. For a period of time it was like playing 'Whack a Mole' as, as soon as a set of listings was reported to ebay and shut down (and they were darn slow at it) another hacked username would put up all the same listings. By the law of averages, if only a small number of people pay up for what they think is a 'steal', and in that case it could appear that you had won a guitar worth £25,000+ for £1500 the scam was very lucrative. The listings looked very 'shady' but, when greed and the chance of a bargain come in common sense can often go out.
MacTallanambeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #15
Leong
Holy smoking keyboard!

Well, the ebay listing seems to have evaporated. At least ebay was not slow to react this time.

I feel for the doc. Long time member here with no blemish I can recall, who took the trouble to sound an alert. If you look at the Gumtree listing, you'll see this - "Looking for any buyer to collect only. Not keen to post this item". You compare that with the ebay one, and you'll see a likely dodge (being polite here) with the 2nd listing. But you'll only detect that if you had seen the Gumtree one too. So, thanks doc for services rendered here.
Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:41 AM   #16
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leong View Post
Well, the ebay listing seems to have evaporated. At least ebay was not slow to react this time.

I feel for the doc. Long time member here with no blemish I can recall, who took the trouble to sound an alert. If you look at the Gumtree listing, you'll see this - "Looking for any buyer to collect only. Not keen to post this item". You compare that with the ebay one, and you'll see a likely dodge (being polite here) with the 2nd listing. But you'll only detect that if you had seen the Gumtree one too. So, thanks doc for services rendered here.

I agree, and again ... I apologize. For the record, whats referenced here is what I was asking about. Glad ebay took action, and also glad doc took the measures he did.

Again, my tone has obviously accusatory, and that really was not what Id meant to
do. Im happy to admit when I was wrong, and I was wrong here.

Best,
~Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #17
Molasses4masses
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pppiper View Post
I agree, and again ... I apologize. For the record, whats referenced here is what I was asking about. Glad ebay took action, and also glad doc took the measures he did.

Again, my tone has obviously accusatory, and that really was not what Id meant to
do. Im happy to admit when I was wrong, and I was wrong here.

Best,
~Nate

Now, now. In the true spirit of the Internet, shouldn’t we all be able to heap burning coals of scorn on you?
Molasses4masses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
LloydB
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasses4masses View Post
Now, now. In the true spirit of the Internet, shouldn’t we all be able to heap burning coals of scorn on you?
Oh, surely there must be an app for that?
Old 09-24-2019, 04:23 AM   #19
Pppiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasses4masses View Post

Ha, I suppose so.

Cheers,
~Nate

Pppiper is offline   Reply With Quote