Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Other (not GH) Bagpipes > Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes +
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Uilleann, Northumbrian, Smallpipes + For all types of (non GH) Bagpiping discussions.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #1
Dave Weinstein
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Carbony Smallpipes

I was wondering if anyone had had a chance to play these at length, and if so, what their opinion was of them.

Thanks,
--Dave
Dave Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 01-27-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
MSupples
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Carbony Smallpipes

I played a set at a games in NC a few years ago. They are a bit more buzzy some other smallpipes I've played and heard, but they do sound quite nice. I think whether they are right for you depends on what you want. A nice bellows blown blackwood set could be had for a similar price, or a mouth blown poly set for much less. If you're going for indestructible or just something that's different, I'd say go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
MSupples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #3
Dave Weinstein
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSupples View Post
If you're going for indestructible (...)
That's a large part of it. I'm looking for something I can play with other instruments (so small pipes), and which should be as close as possible to immune to weather or other adverse conditions (because, well, among other things, camping).
Dave Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:51 AM   #4
bob864
Holy smoking keyboard!

I played the original prototype and a revised version. Not at length, but for at least a few tunes. They sound nice. They are heavy. I like the built in drone switches. I have a couple of his whistles and I really like them.

They would be impervious to weather and temperature.

I take me poly Soutar SSP camping and I've been really happy. Last year at Grandfather Mountain it was so wet it was like playing while taking a shower and I had no problems with them, so probably any poly set would do what you need. It was so wet at times that people who played other instruments (fiddle, guitar, and so forth) left them in their cases.

I've talked with Rob a lot about his products. One really neat advantage they have is that carbon fiber doesn't change when it heats up, so if you tune it up and then get on stage in hot lights it won't go out of tune. The whistles don't really change pitch as you play them either -- most whistles will be flat when you first start and then come up to pitch.