Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
T.Ackland
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Poly pipes.... Opinions

I wonder what pipe makers would have used back in the day had plastic been invented?
T.Ackland is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 02-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #12
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Ackland View Post

I wonder what pipe makers would have used back in the day had plastic been invented?
...probably just a different branch off the polychanter tree....
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Maximus

Dunbar polys are fantastic. I own a set, and love them. I have them set up with canning tenors and a kinnaird bass. I picked mine up second hand for a song.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #14
Dave Weinstein

If you're in Oregon, and looking for non-wooden pipes, it might be worth visiting Rob Gandara at Carbony and having a go with his carbon fiber set.

They aren't cheap, but they are going to be just this side of indestructible and unaffected by the elements.
Dave Weinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #15
LadyB

I have a set of Dunbar polys and get a lot of compliments on their tone. I purchased them with Kinnaird Evolution reeds in all the drones, but working with my teacher we decided the tone was better by replacing the tenors with the Cannings. I have a Kinnaird Evolution in the bass drone and Cannings in the tenors. Seems to be a good combo.

The best part is playing in St. Pat's day parades in Chicago weather (i.e. driving rain, can't feel your fingers cold) and not worrying at all about your wood pipes (which I also have) suffering under the punishment.

Linda
LadyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
erracht
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
Dunbar makes the best-sounding poly pipes I've ever heard.

To be quite honest with you, I like the sound of my polypenco Dunbar drones more than that of my African Blackwood Fletchers. The former are richer and fuller in sound, in the Henderson tradition. They are also fairly easy to tune.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:32 AM   #17
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

I built up my "Backup/Foul Weather" set with ABC poly drones and stocks, a hide bag, an MacCallum extendable blowstick and an older R.G.Hardie chanter I got in trade some years ago. No issues with the poly for me. I built it up to spare my 40 year old G&M set from bad weather gigs.
If I had students looking for pipes, I'd advise them to look into any of the excellent makes of poly/delrin/acetyl sets being made today, for durability and world-wide transportability.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #18
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by erracht View Post
To be quite honest with you, I like the sound of my polypenco Dunbar drones more than that of my African Blackwood Fletchers. The former are richer and fuller in sound, in the Henderson tradition. They are also fairly easy to tune.
Yup. We have a set in our (grade 3) band that is much better than many blackwood sets I've heard. Dunbar just makes good bagpipes, full stop.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #19
Steven Knox
Forum Regular

+1 to the Dunbar recommendations. I was quite happy with mine, which I purchased for border crossing. I use Eezedrone tenors and a Balance Tone bass in it.
Steven Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #20
HighlandPark
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpipe View Post
go to lockyphoto.com/bagpipeecology

There's a good deal of info from tests he made, and lots of other good stuff.

Thanks, Greenpipe! IMHO, one cannot go wrong with a set of 'plastic' or 'poly'
pipes; whether your main set or for foul weather/travel (hot trunk anyone?), most people would not know the difference in tone.

There are many great makers of poly pipes, but there are subtle differences in the material. To my eye, for looks and finish, those pipes made of Delrin/Polypenco, are a shade superior: blacker, richer, almost like ebony. Otherwise, they're all fantastic choices. Here's a great example: my 1915 ebony Hendersons alongside a duplicate part in Delrin made by Dunbar bagpipes...

http://www.lockyphoto.com/bagpipeeco...508_085034.jpg