Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Bag for second set

Hello Everyone,
I've got two sets of pipes ... not that uncommon. I play my Hendersons pretty regularly, and I'm happy with the sheep I've got going. My question is about my second set. They're a relatively new set of Naills I bought a few years ago, with blackwood mounts, so I can travel without too much worry about the ivory issue. I need a bag that doesn't need too much (any) maintenance, so I can just pick those Naills up any time and give 'em a blast without having to re-season and all that stuff. I'm considering a Bannatyne hide-synthetic (I've played one before), but I'm wondering about other options and makes of bags. Cow hide? Ross bag? Your thoughts on a bag for my backup set are welcome. Thanks!
Scot.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: bag for second set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot Kortegaard View Post
Hello Everyone,

I've got two sets of pipes ... not that uncommon. I play my Hendersons pretty regularly, and I'm happy with the sheep I've got going. My question is about my second set. They're a relatively new set of Naills I bought a few years ago, with blackwood mounts, so I can travel without too much worry about the ivory issue. I need a bag that doesn't need too much (any) maintenance, so I can just pick those Naills up any time and give 'em a blast without having to re-season and all that stuff. I'm considering a Bannatyne hide-synthetic (I've played one before), but I'm wondering about other options and makes of bags. Cow hide? Ross bag? Your thoughts on a bag for my backup set are welcome. Thanks!

Scot.

Scot,

I have a Lee and Sons cowhide with zipper for sale, size is small. Played only for a couple of weeks. It may work for you, may not.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
Joseph Diodato
Forum Regular

Scot,

Based on your criteria for a hassle-free bag and the possibility that they might not be played for different stretches of time, I'd say a Bannatyne hybrid bag is your best bet. Canmore is a fine option as well -- plenty of opinions to be had via a quick forum search on which might suit you better.

Cheers,
Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Piper View Post
Scot,

I have a Lee and Sons cowhide with zipper for sale, size is small. Played only for a couple of weeks. It may work for you, may not.
Rats ... I'd love to give one a try, but a small would be too small for me. But thanks for the offer. I play a medium or a large.

Cheers,
Scot.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Id unreservedly recommend the Canmore Hybrid - nearest thing to sheepskin I have ever come across & no maintenance required. No moisture problems either - just with a vinyl tube with a Trap-dri gadget in.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #6
Dakota Lewis
Forum Member

not sure how you feel about this but I'd rather keep the sheep, tie in the larger stocks and hemp up the smaller drones throw the reeds in a Tupperware with a Boveda and blamo!
Dakota Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Id heed Roddys recommendation...post #5.

I play two Canmore hybrids. Superb...no hassle,, leather like...fantastic moisture control...using a vinyl tube enhanced with a trap-dri. .
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:14 AM   #8
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
Id unreservedly recommend the Canmore Hybrid - nearest thing to sheepskin I have ever come across & no maintenance required. No moisture problems either - just with a vinyl tube with a Trap-dri gadget in.
Thanks Roddy. I was looking at that ... never tried one, aside from the old gawd awful original Canmore bag - the one that resembles a plastic grocery bag.
Cheers,
Scot.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #9
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Lewis View Post
not sure how you feel about this but I'd rather keep the sheep, tie in the larger stocks and hemp up the smaller drones throw the reeds in a Tupperware with a Boveda and blamo!
I did that for a while ... turns out it's more of a PITA than you would think. I think I'd like to just have a second bag, one that's ready to go at the drop of a hat.
Cheers,
Scot.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
Scot Kortegaard
Holy smoking keyboard!

I was looking at the Lee & Sons cowhide bag too. Says it needs very little maintenance. So many choices out there.

Cheers,
Scot.