Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-10-2020, 01:12 AM   #1
Joseph Diodato
Forum Regular

Default Video camera for practice sessions and performances

Hi folks,

I haven't seen a relatively recent thread on the subject of video cameras, so I thought I'd see what folks are currently finding success with for their audio/video recording needs!

I'd like to invest in a single video camera (no recording audio on a separate device) that offers excellent video and audio capabilities. A search of the forum shows that Zoom devices have been somewhat popular over the last decade or so but I haven't seen much in the way of newer models such as the Q2n-4k.

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

My Piping Blog- A student's musings on learning the Great Highland Bagpipe.
Joseph Diodato is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-10-2020, 04:31 AM   #2
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Default Re: Video camera for practice sessions and performances

I just video record my practice on my phone. I find I get a lot more feedback from seeing myself as well as hearing myself perform.

TBH when you see what is recorded and played on things like an iPhone these days, unless you are going to be putting it to CD. I don't think bespoke recorders are necessary.

That said, recording in a proper home studio would be a treat! If I was being picky about using your phone, I'd like a little more emphasis on my drones in some of my videos. You can get that with your phone, but you have to turn your back to the phone which sort of defeats the purpose of the video I suppose There are some mobile phone microphones out there (Shure make one for the iPhone) but I'm not s(h)ure how effective they are or if the make a marked difference.

Last edited by Mac an t-Sealgair; 06-10-2020 at 04:34 AM.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 AM   #3
Matthew Quinn Martin
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Honestly, I think any halfway decent condenser mic is a better purchase. This is coming from a guy with two decades experience working on film sets. The ears are much less forgiving than the eyes. Also, you can put the mic either behind you or to the side for "more drone" without dealing with multiple mics/mixing. You need one with a cable for this (and maybe a stand) the kind that just plugs into the bottom of your phone defeats the purpose.

Also the camera on your phone is probably better than anything outside a prosumer grade SLR or mirrorless system...and unless you are really photogenic, it's the music that matters.

Last edited by Matthew Quinn Martin; 06-11-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Matthew Quinn Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Ah, Joseph,

A good idea... A grand idea... and to summon
up a bit of... Old Scottish Verse... :)

"O, wud some Power The Giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!"

(But screens can be... a Hard Mistress!! :)

Wishing you... All the Best!!,

Pip01

Old 06-11-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Joe I've been thinking about the exact same thing in the last two weeks! Here is what I have thought of, none of it I'm sure about.

Easy option is use a newer phone as Mac mentioned. I got a cheap phone bracket to mount on a tripod. It won't sound great but the video should be adequate for practicing's sake. I have to agree that a phone sounds okayish, but it is nothing compared to my Zoom.

Also easy option- stick audio only with a Zoom. Like Matthew said it's easy to get distracted with video but when listening to your playing with headphones you really do hear all the nuances of your playing. I already record the audio my sessions with an H2n on a tripod at one end of the room, works incredibly well. Sounds perfect (not the playing) especially with the headphones. I have studio monitors as well but the headphones are much more personal. I use Audacity to trim and normalize, then output to flac for lossless (you could always output to MP3 for saving storage if you want, flac and WAV are probably overkill).

Harder option I'm contemplating- record with both my phone and my Zoom so I can see my ergonomics and posture while also having full spectrum audio. This will require video editing though and I haven't done much of it but shouldn't be hard.

My last thought- buy the Q2n-4k. Lose a lot of ability for the sake of ease and less fuss but could also save a lot of time in the end (or not, I don't have any experience with it other than what I've read up on). Where the video angle may be good the audio could be awful, and vise versa. There is a reason content producers such as quality YouTube channels use separate mics and cameras.

Just some thoughts. Phone will definitely be the least fuss and money.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:23 AM   #6
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Harder option I'm contemplating- record with both my phone and my Zoom so I can see my ergonomics and posture while also having full spectrum audio. This will require video editing though and I haven't done much of it but shouldn't be hard.
Aye that sounds good, but also like a lot of work. It would be excellent is you wanted to do YouTube videos, but less helpful when practicing as you lose that instant feedback.

Mind you I suppose you could just watch the phone and listen to the audio from there. If its good enough, then mix it together.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Where the video angle may be good the audio could be awful, and vise versa. There is a reason content producers such as quality YouTube channels use separate mics and cameras.

I agree - the video quality of that Zoom product is pretty poor, to be honest, and seems like it'd be well suited to certain kinds of usage, like reviewing gig footage or the like, but I wouldn't use that for professional quality video.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

FWIW....the Henderson Ltd. website has offers for what we're discussing here. Anyone experience any if those products?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

I use a zoom H1 recorder so I can record and listen to what I am doing wrong.

The video camera is an interesting idea, especially since I got a new bag size, and yes I might want to hook up a separate recorder.

And interesting anecdote with my phone: I recorded with my iPhone once and the harmonics were too much for the little mic to handle, lots of strange distortions or harmonics, sound like an eerie cross between a whistle or a scream on some notes, on other notes there were other idiosyncratic noises sometimes a ringing phone (Jim McGillivray mentioned Harmonics that sounded like a ringing phone in an old thread, but I think that was different, mine is probably distortion).

I’ve also noticed on some recordings the audio will almost cut out at the C note, it doesn’t but the volume is heavily reduced, the same thing was happening to me whenever I played C, strange. I was using my Naill chanter.

Last edited by WBpiper; 06-12-2020 at 04:16 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #10
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAgJSDj_2rk

Recorded on a 6yo Android phone. If you skip to where I am close to the camera you can hear the microphone being overcome, but when a few feet away I don't think it sounds tooooo bad. Good enough for practice feedback which is all I recorded this for.