Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Stiubhard
Forum Member

Default Interesting ferrule insignia

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a c. 1900 set of Henderson pipes. While I’m quite pleased with the set, and will be putting some time and money into having them lightly refurbished, I was pleasantly surprised to find a very peculiar adornment on the blowpipe-stock ferrule.

This ferrule has some sort of blued-metal cover with the badge/insignia of the 38th Battalion, “the Ottawa Highlanders”. This was a regiment of the First World War, and a predecessor to the current Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (Canadian Army, Primary Reserve).

Has anyone seen such a ferrule adornment before? In my 20yrs of piping I don’t recall ever seeing such a thing. Regardless, due to where I live, I’d love to see if I could track down any history of this instrument to see if that unit had a pipe band etc.

Any info would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stiubhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-17-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Interesting ferrule insignia

Is it actually ‘blued’ ...or is it longly unpolished silver plated?
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #3
Stiubhard
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Is it actually ‘blued’ ...or is it longly unpolished silver plated?
Very good question there...you might be right on that. I will try to give it a bit of a polish and see.
Old 07-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
Lochie
Forum Regular

They did have a pipe band. The unit seemed to have a strong Scottish flavour and when they returned from WW1 they became the Ottawa Highlanders. Later a name change made them the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa, in which I served.
I recall seeing a WW1 era picture in the Sgts Mess of the pipe band.
I've never seen that particular badge or any other bagpipe set up that way.
Nice find!
The regiment does have a museum, perhaps they could help.
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #5
Stiubhard
Forum Member

Thanks for that info, Lochie.

Yes, I've known some of the folks from the Cameron Highlanders (one of them actually piped at my wedding). I'll have to reach out to them for more information, or perhaps to the museum, as you've stated. Regardless, when I have the pipe touched-up, I'll be looking for this piece to be kept on the ferrule - and if that's not possible for one reason or another, perhaps I'll have a replica made and fixed as this one was (keeping the original of course, to maintain the integrity of the instrument).

Anyone else ever seen such a ferrule cover before? I can't quite tell whether this was crafted specifically for this purpose, or whether a regimental napkin ring, or cross-belt buckle was converted into this piece haha!
Old 07-17-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiubhard View Post
I'll be looking for this piece to be kept on the ferrule -!
Wonder if it might have been heated to expand and slid on to fend off further splitting of that small crack in the stock?

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 07-17-2020 at 02:32 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
Stiubhard
Forum Member

Funny you mention that. It could be due to that, or the cracking in the ferrule itself. That said, I wonder if it would have created the cracking seen on this piece, similar to how brass linings often result in cracking. I doubt it would have that effect, per say, but certainly the stock and the blowpipe are a bit gnarly (Like so many old sets!). Might have been used as an ornate cover-up of sorts!

Old 07-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Lochie
Forum Regular

Having been a junior officer in said Regiment, one of my tasks was to polish and maintain the Regimental silver. Never saw a napkin ring like that, and actually I don't recall seeing anything from the Ottawa Highlanders in the mess. It was a short period in their history.
I am a badge collector too, and have one of their cap badges, and I've never seen a second one.
Having also served in the pipe band, I would also note that permanently borrowing a napkin ring from the officers mess would be considered quite hilarious....
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
Stiubhard
Forum Member

Haha! Duly noted, Lochie. I polished this piece up, and had a local longtime piping figure (Lochie, you likely know him - Jack Yourt) take a look at the set. He thinks it was likely purpose made and affixed (it is silver, or silver plated). He thought that the heating and affixing likely resulted, or contributed to the ivory cracking over time, as opposed to being applied as a sort of “fix”. He also thought that these may have been applied to all, or numerous pipers’ pipes in the Regiment at the time. Also noted he has not really seen this sort of thing before, and he’s been on the piping scene for probably 60+ years. Still a bit of a mystery!