Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-16-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Default Issue with Naill Poly PC spit trap?

Does anyone else have a problem with a Naill practice chanter? The reason I ask is because I purchased a Naill poly PC and apparently it has the spit trap built in and after about 1/2 hr of practice I can't get the thing to stop gurgling! I pull it apart and blow thru it both directions and the spit comes out, then I blow and dry the reed and the lower section (which is usually dry anyway).

I'm not really impressed with it. Is that just an issue with chanters that have the spit trap? My last one didn't have it, so I'm not familiar with them. If it is, does anyone have a suggestions, short of stop spitting?

"Who's choking the duck?!!!"
DCYMPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Issue with Naill Poly PC spit trap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCYMPiper View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with a Naill practice chanter? The reason I ask is because I purchased a Naill poly PC and apparently it has the spit trap built in and after about 1/2 hr of practice I can't get the thing to stop gurgling! I pull it apart and blow thru it both directions and the spit comes out, then I blow and dry the reed and the lower section (which is usually dry anyway).

I'm not really impressed with it. Is that just an issue with chanters that have the spit trap? My last one didn't have it, so I'm not familiar with them. If it is, does anyone have a suggestions, short of stop spitting?
The diverter thingy goes in ,IIRC, with its angled shelf on the up side. Check that it’s correct....and about half way up between the top of the reed lips and the inside bell.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
The diverter thingy goes in ,IIRC, with its angled shelf on the up side. Check that itís correct....and about half way up between the top of the reed lips and the inside bell.
Sorry, not sure what you're saying. The top half of the chanter seems to be one piece. I don't see a way of checking it.

Old 07-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCYMPiper View Post

Sorry, not sure what you're saying. The top half of the chanter seems to be one piece. I don't see a way of checking it.
The ďdiverterĒ spit-trap is a ~1/2Ē thick acetyl plug up inside the chanter top. As I recall it... the topside of it is cut on an angle from the flat mid-point over to the edge...where there is a vertical groove ..letís the air get down to the reed...donít know how not the moisture too. Think of 4-5 stacked nickels...

Anyway.... via the mouthpiece with a stiff enough dowel,push the trap down and out the the open end to check which way itís in. If it was pushed in way too deep originally might be why you get the qurgling...not enough space to accumulate a quantity of drool.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:54 AM   #5
Hagar
Forum Member

I have one and havenít had any problems, if the sound doesnít seem quite right I just blow it out.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
DCYMPiper
Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll check it out!