Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
glewzenbu
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Experiments with black wood chanters

Greetings all, I’ve been doing some Experimentation with some blackwood chanters. OK, here is the set up- 2009 ABW McCallum pipes, Canning and then Full cane drone reeds, G1 platinum and then Warnock chanter reeds, in a 1970s Hardie ABW chanter, a 1970s Naill ABW chanter and then a new McCallum McC2 Gold ABW CHANTER I got new earlier this year.
So here’s what I got,
I was able to tune the drones To the chanters with both sets of reeds,
I didn’t notice a huge difference between the two chanter reeds except that the G1 has a brighter sound,
The hardie was The most comfortable for me to play and also pitched the lowest at 466, it was the least bright and a bit flat on the low hand out of the three with the G1 being brighter than the Warnock, which I did not care for in this chanter, it has a good amount of volume too,
The Naill is brighter than the Hardie (not as loud though)and the holes felt a little closer, Good tone with both reeds with no tape was required , comes in With a nice range 466-480
The McCallum, feels very similar to the Naill , I have tape on the HG, And it’s almost as loud as the Hardie, and definitely produces a brighter/brassier sound then either of the other two, also has a good range 470-480s,

What are your thoughts and experiences?
glewzenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-20-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Experiments with black wood chanters

Thanks for that. I admit that it was a bit difficult to follow. Let me see if I got it. One set of drones with the set-up you described. Three chanters using two different chanter reeds. Did I get that right?

I'm not sure of the study's purpose, however, for you were using 1970s chanters with a new one. Was this a study of two chanter reeds in different chanters? If so, I would think the chanters would need to be of the same vintage. If it's a comparison of older vs. new chanters, then there are a number of variable questions beyond just comparing two different chanter reeds.

Put simply, a focused study cannot have too many other variables; for then it becomes confusing or compromised.

I also didn't read your thoughts on the McC with the two reeds (unless I misread). Also, what was your final conclusion, overall? Again, that comes back to your primary research goal.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
glewzenbu
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Im Not really trying to figure anything out, just playing with different things to see what I get, have some fun and start a conversation. I wondered how the older chanters would sound against cain reeds vs synthetic reeds, I had to make adjustments but I got them to work together. All of the combos sounded good its just personal preference. My preference is for the McC2 with the G1 against the Canning drone reeds, thats what Ive been using this season in solos, its hot and humid right now so the cain becomes unstable faster and needed frequent adjustment.
I thought that Id like the naill most because of the reputation, then Again From what Im told the Hardie chanter was preferred in the 70s
glewzenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
EquusRacer
Holy smoking keyboard!

Understood; and thanks for the clarification. My comments were not a criticism; just more related, somewhat, to the structure of research.

Coincidentally, our band used Hardie BW and Kintail BW chanters in the '70s and early '80s; and now use the McC2 with G1 Platinum. Back in the mid-80s, I moved our band to poly chanters, starting with War-Macs and McAlister reeds.
EquusRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:11 AM   #5
Chris C.
Forum Silver Medal

The band I was in during the 80's used Hardie BW with Warnocks.... Very loud, but non-ridge cut reeds seemed to sound better in the Hardie. Seemed to make it sound a bit more plaintive and pleasant -- to my ear, anyway.
Chris C. is offline   Reply With Quote