Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-22-2020, 04:14 AM   #1
Big Tone
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Piobaireachd High G

I have an RJM chanter. I've been trying some Shepherd reeds in it. Strength medium hard.
The Piobaireachd high G will sound really really flat unless you blow through the reed. Any easing of pressure at all will cause it to happen. Light music high G unaffected by slight changes in pressure. The reed is only in two weeks, blown every day. There's still a crow in the high A which clears if you blow a bit harder.

So, I think I'm blowing slightly below the pressure where the reeds need to be at. I got a box of 5 and I can repeat the effect across all the reeds and in a couple of different chanter makes. I previously bought mediums and they did the same thing straight out of the box. The problem then was I immediately attacked them with sandpaper to clear the crow and ease them a bit and after I blew them for a while they ended up a little easy. Nothing major but the high A could be blown a little sharp easily and I thought with a few months blowing that would only get worse.

So I really just to see if my line of thinking here is correct. What's a usual time to blow in a Shepherd reed? I'd rather blow away at it for a period of time and then take a bit off it if necessary.
Big Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-22-2020, 06:08 AM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Piobaireachd High G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
I have an RJM chanter. I've been trying some Shepherd reeds in it. Strength medium hard.
The Piobaireachd high G will sound really really flat unless you blow through the reed. Any easing of pressure at all will cause it to happen. Light music high G unaffected by slight changes in pressure. The reed is only in two weeks, blown every day. There's still a crow in the high A which clears if you blow a bit harder.

So, I think I'm blowing slightly below the pressure where the reeds need to be at. I got a box of 5 and I can repeat the effect across all the reeds and in a couple of different chanter makes. I previously bought mediums and they did the same thing straight out of the box. The problem then was I immediately attacked them with sandpaper to clear the crow and ease them a bit and after I blew them for a while they ended up a little easy. Nothing major but the high A could be blown a little sharp easily and I thought with a few months blowing that would only get worse.

So I really just to see if my line of thinking here is correct. What's a usual time to blow in a Shepherd reed? I'd rather blow away at it for a period of time and then take a bit off it if necessary.
In my experience, Shepherd reeds blow in quickly with just a few pinches. Shaving or sanding usually shortens their life as the cane is already fairly thin on the top of the blades and can get fragile. The key with a Shepherd is to get one that's close to your comfortable strength or a bit stronger, pinch as needed, then leave it alone.

Also make sure the reed is well seated in the chanter. I had to sink the reeds a bit deeper in the RJM than some chanters to make sure the reed was snug. With no thread in the seat, this was necessary.

Last edited by piper_hm; 07-22-2020 at 06:12 AM.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

I just purchased this chanter a couple of months ago.

I'm using a Warnock reed (medium as I blow around 32 inches) with a very nice tone.

I have purchased some Sheppard's to try out but have not yet as the Warnock is doing a wonderful job.

To be noted that at the same time I purchase the Tone Protector Chanter cap. It seems to have helped with the break-in period of the Warnock.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Big Tone
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
In my experience, Shepherd reeds blow in quickly with just a few pinches. Shaving or sanding usually shortens their life as the cane is already fairly thin on the top of the blades and can get fragile. The key with a Shepherd is to get one that's close to your comfortable strength or a bit stronger, pinch as needed, then leave it alone.

Also make sure the reed is well seated in the chanter. I had to sink the reeds a bit deeper in the RJM than some chanters to make sure the reed was snug. With no thread in the seat, this was necessary.
I did notice when I shaved the lips you could see a very slight raggedness to the cane compared to an untouched reed. I used 400 grit sandpaper, ran the reed at a 45 degree angle for a few inches over it.

I have the reed well hemped, I'll recheck it. The high A is a touch flat with no tape on it. I just left it where it was for the time being as I thought it might sharpen as I played it so I can sink it in a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy MacIntosh
To be noted that at the same time I purchase the Tone Protector Chanter cap. It seems to have helped with the break-in period of the Warnock.
I have the reed case. The other reeds are in it and I'm giving them a mouth blow in a spare and a pinch every other day. I'm hoping that'll have them ready to go.
Big Tone is offline   Reply With Quote