Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Greek Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default MacLellan A440 vs McCallum A440

Hello!
I need to play with a rock band in the key of A at 440Hz. I made some research and these two chanters seem to be the best choices for my budget.
Anyone that has tried both? Which one would you suggest?
If you vote for MacLellan, does it really worth the extra $80?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Greek Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-20-2020, 01:51 PM   #2
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: MacLellan A440 vs McCallum A440

The MacLellan gets to 440 easier, but the McCallum plays better. MacLellan likes to squeak and jump on low G with high G gracenotes. Youíll need to use rushes to get the bottom hand of the McCallum down to 440.

I compare them on my blog even though itís titled McCallum; I prefer the McCallum.

https://www.patrickmclaurin.com/wordpress/?p=4409
Patrick McLaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
Greek Piper
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hello Patrick and thanks for your immediate response. Yes, i ve read your article, which was very helpful. Would be nice to see if more people agree.
Greek Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #4
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Can't speak for the McCallum, but spent many years with the MacLellan. It's fairly easily reeded, though I always needed at least a 30in/h20 reed for it to not climb above 440. And as Patrick said, it does tend to gurgle squawk and squeak if using G gracenotes on the bottom hand. I tended to use E gracenotes on low G instead. But if pitch is important, it does the job.
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

The thing of learning to use E gracenotes instead of HG gracenotes is something I had to do back in the late 1970s when I got a set of "Lowland" pipes in A=440. That was back before the "Border pipe" craze hit, and such things were fairly obscure.

Have you considered going the "Border" route? You can get an old set of 3/4 pipes fairly cheaply, reed the drones to play down in A, and play a "Border" chanter in it. A Border chanter will love playing in A, you'll have all the chromatic notes available.

If you're playing though a contact mic onstage it doesn't matter what the volume of your pipes is.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #6
DapperDan
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Have you considered going the "Border" route? You can get an old set of 3/4 pipes fairly cheaply, reed the drones to play down in A, and play a "Border" chanter in it. A Border chanter will love playing in A, you'll have all the chromatic notes available.
Could you elaborate a bit on this setup? What reeds do you use to get the 3/4 set to A? This would be a nice setup, especially for playing indoors.

Any good sources for a used 3/4 setup?
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote