Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
PiPeZiLLa
Forum Regular

Default Clip on mics and tuning apps

I'm new to using tuning apps (on smart phones) and other tuners. Is it possible to use one of the clip mics (offered by most piping retailers) on a Iphone in order to tune drones?

Can anyone recommend a tuning App + mic setup?
PiPeZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #2
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Clip on mics and tuning apps

Alan Walters came up to do a piping workshop in Alaska last December and he used a regular clip on mic with the Braw Tuning App on his phone. He used it for both chanter and drones while everyone was playing and it made it super easy to pinpoint exactly who had the off chanter and what notes and how far off they were.

So far I haven't had luck finding the right connection from clip on mic cord to the plug in on my iPhone. One needs to have the 3 'rings' on the plug ins for mic, sound, and ??? to make it work right. Most have only 2 rings that I could find here in town in Anchorage.

If you find the right connector online I would appreciate the info!

Jenni
Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
paul_111
Forum Regular

have you looked at the Peterson istrobosoft and pitch grabber tuning clip?
paul_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Randy McIntosh
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have 3 apps, the Blair, the Peterson istrobosoft and the Braw Tuning App all on my iPhone.

I have the Blair Bluetooth Clip on mic but it only works with the Blair app.

I have not tried the wired clip on contact mic but I think I will as I much prefer the Braw app. I think in my box of "piping overflow" I have a wired contact mic and 1/4 to 1/8 connector (Blair used to sell this for using the mic with the older iPhone when they had the audio port)

I have been very hesitant try it as it would make a Lightning to 1/8 audio dongle, 1/8 audio to 1/4 audio dongle and then the mic....3 connection that could fail and only a 6 foot wire
Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 PM   #5
Kelly the boy from...
Forum Member

Try this clip on pickup from Amazon with the 1/8" connecter that's reasonably priced. "Peterson-Tuners-Grabber-Mobile-Instrument"
Kelly the boy from... is offline   Reply With Quote