Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-01-2019, 01:37 AM   #21
Repip
Forum Member

Default Re: I hate my bagpipes

[QUOTE=MacTallanambeann;1337853]Isn't that odd? The only set of pipes I have ever had problems with were a set of new Kintails (my first ever personal set) around 1984. The drones just would not tune.

I considered gifting them to someone but then thought that would just doom some aspiring young player, they were my first set - so some sentimental value - currently just sticks and stocks not tied in! They may end up as one of those wall hangings OR firewood OR those drone lampshades
Repip is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #22
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=Repip;1337859][QUOTE=MacTallanambeann;1337853]Isn't that odd? The only set of pipes I have ever had problems with were a set of new Kintails (my first ever personal set) around 1984. The drones just would not tune.

I considered gifting them to someone but then thought that would just doom some aspiring young player, they were my first set - so some sentimental value - currently just sticks and stocks not tied in! They may end up as one of those wall hangings OR firewood OR those drone lampshades [/QUOTE

why not, for a pretty reasonable sum, take advantage of the pipe maker/refurb shop resources available in CAN and have them made into a top notch instrument.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #23
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
My major takeaway is that, in general, older sets function better than newer sets.
Why do you think this is?
Material? Design ("Kiddized")?

Certainly modern makers have examined these older pipes and used them as a basis for their current models. If that is so and the designs are the same, I wonder what makes the older sets so much better..?

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:30 AM   #24
Keith Jeffers
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
Why do you think this is?
Material? Design ("Kiddized")?

Certainly modern makers have examined these older pipes and used them as a basis for their current models. If that is so and the designs are the same, I wonder what makes the older sets so much better..?

-Matthew

Good question, and the for the answer I wouldn’t put all my money on magical wood used 125 years ago. The fact is the vast majority of these pipes represent their forefathers in name only. It is slick marketing to say your pipes are directly modeled after such and such pipes when in fact they have been highly modified so that they tune better. The other fact is, there are some old sets that are excellent pipes, and there are a lot of old sets that are below average even compared to modern made pipes.
Keith Jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #25
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
modern makers have examined these older pipes and used them as a basis...

If that is so and the designs are the same....
There's a potentially vast gulf between using an old set as a basis for your work, and making your work the same as an old set.

Twice it's happened that while I was the owner of a great-playing vintage set I got to try (and measure) a new set said to be copied from a set of the same maker and time-period as the set I owned.

Both times I found that the new set had ordinary modern specs which had little correlation to the specs of any vintage set I've owned and measured. More importantly the new sets didn't function like the old sets: the easy strike-in, the steadiness, the easiness of reeding, the full spectrum of harmonics.

It's one thing to examine an old set, or even be "inspired" by it. It's another thing to make an exact copy.

I've repeatedly seen modern makers talk about using trial-and-error to arrive at their drone specs.

One approach is trying to create drones that do what we want them to do, the other approach is letting go of everything we think we know, and allowing the old makers tell us what drones are supposed to do.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-04-2019 at 07:59 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote