Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #11
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Default Re: Poly VS ABW stocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
DCP, I'm confused. You're saying you know there isn't a difference between the tones and it's just a looks thing to you.. but your thread post was explicitly asking for the tonal difference between materials?

I am specifically asking if the material of the stocks affects the harmonics/tonal quality of the drones.

IF thereís a difference, I will go back to my original stocks now that the crack may be fixed. IF not then Iíll save the work of redoing the set, and leave the poly stocks in

Aesthetics means very little to me, tone and technique however means everything, so the colour and ferrule difference is negligible if thereís no tonal change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamhCabrachPiping View Post
I am specifically asking if the material of the stocks affects the harmonics/tonal quality of the drones.

IF thereís a difference, I will go back to my original stocks now that the crack may be fixed. IF not then Iíll save the work of redoing the set, and leave the poly stocks in

Aesthetics means very little to me, tone and technique however means everything, so the colour and ferrule difference is negligible if thereís no tonal change.

A slightly different angle, for the physicists on here, I guess.

In my one set, I have an ABW blowstick stock and a MacMillan trap/valve. Very efficient, traps loads of moisture and in general a good enough MCS on its own. In the other set I have a plastic stock for the same reason as you - the old ebony one split. I also have a MacMillan valve/trap in that stock but it picks up very little moisture. My take is that the air must be condensing at a different rate in the ABW stock as compared to the plastic one.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
DamhCabrachPiping
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondPiper View Post
A slightly different angle, for the physicists on here, I guess.

In my one set, I have an ABW blowstick stock and a MacMillan trap/valve. Very efficient, traps loads of moisture and in general a good enough MCS on its own. In the other set I have a plastic stock for the same reason as you - the old ebony one split. I also have a MacMillan valve/trap in that stock but it picks up very little moisture. My take is that the air must be condensing at a different rate in the ABW stock as compared to the plastic one.

Yeah that makes sense, but my concern is in tone. I live in a very dry climate and typically we donít use MCSs as weíre constantly struggle to keep things moist

DamhCabrachPiping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 04:28 PM   #14
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Neither of the sets I currently play, Lawries and Starcks, both from the 1940s, came with stocks.

I've moved them back and forth between the following sets of stocks:

Unknown maker, ABW with nickel ferrules .755

Unknown maker, ABW with rolled nickel ferrules .769

Ayrshire poly, stainless steel ferrules .780

I've not noticed any timbre change, but I do very much notice a change in performance, between the stocks.

Both sets of drones perform better the larger the stock diameter, the best performance coming from the Aryshire poly stocks. (Performance meaning better strike-ins and stability.)

.780 is big compared to most modern pipes (McCallums are .765) but smaller than older pipes I've owned such as c1905 Lawries (.813) and c1890 Glens (.790)

What I don't like about the poly stocks is that they require being on top of your hemping maintenance! The hemp has to be super-tight because the poly is so slick. Wood stocks are more forgiving.

About appearance, the Ayrshire poly stocks blend in nicely with the Ebony Starcks (which I have set up for 466)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-02-2019 at 04:39 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #15
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Quote:

Makes perfect sense, Nate had the right idea in that I interpreted that a different way. Hope I didn't come across as rude, was merely following up to understand.

Quote:
Yeah that makes sense, but my concern is in tone. I live in a very dry climate and typically we donít use MCSs as weíre constantly struggle to keep things moist
I think even with a microphone and audio software you would be hard pressed to hear any difference in stock material all other variables constant (such as same make, same bore etc). I did some recording this week and analysed it with a sound editor. I was a bit taken back at just how much perceived drone sounds can change even from simple turning while playing based on where I was from the microphone and the room reflections.. there's so much going on with pipes all things being equal, that I truly believe material has very little to do with it in the end.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #16
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
In my one set, I have an ABW blowstick stock and a MacMillan trap/valve.
I have not heard of this valve, do you have a web link?

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #17
RichmondPiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Piper View Post
I have not heard of this valve, do you have a web link?

-Matthew
They were obtainable through the College of Piping. That's where I got mine. I'll look for any other info.
RichmondPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 06:04 PM   #18
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

In terms of whether there is any difference in tone, the answer is yes.
BUT
Is there any discernible difference in tone? No.

In terms of tone, what matters first and foremost is reeds, then dimensions, then weather, blowing, set up, etc., etc., and material is pretty low down on the list. Even then, in terms of material it's mostly to do with density.

So, there will be a difference in tone that no human can hear. Because you are changing the (arguably) least impacting variable (material of the piece) in one of the (arguably) least tonally impacting piece.

If you were to ask whether the different measurements would affect the tone, that would be a much clearer yes, because that would change the way the reeds react and the resonance and all of that.
But material? Not in any discernible way.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:05 AM   #19
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
They were obtainable through the College of Piping. That's where I got mine. I'll look for any other info.
Can you post a pic?
I'm always interested in gagetry!
I've been having fun with my 3D printer, and I designed my own (what I call) "flapper-trap" that works quite well.. Would be interested to see other designs..

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote