Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Default New video/exercise sheet for learning Heavy D throws

Hello! I wanted to let folks know I have recently made a video with my approach to learning heavy D Throws, and my method is unlike how I have seen others teach this often troublesome embellishment and thought folks here might want to check it out. There's a downloadable PDF in the description for the exercise.
https://youtu.be/xD3Frmqrxmk

Cheers!
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #2
super8mm
Forum Member

Default Re: New video/exercise sheet for learning Heavy D throws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Willis Bagpiper View Post
Hello! I wanted to let folks know I have recently made a video with my approach to learning heavy D Throws, and my method is unlike how I have seen others teach this often troublesome embellishment and thought folks here might want to check it out. There's a downloadable PDF in the description for the exercise.
https://youtu.be/xD3Frmqrxmk

Cheers!
Thanks Matt, I will give them a try this weekend
super8mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Sounds strong and neat. Left a comment..what solo scoresheet comments you might have received when using this ‘crossing noise’ D throw.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Triskele
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Our PM and instructor only taught us the light D throw, but when we play tunes together on practice chanter, I usually hear him play the heavy D throw as you are playing it in your video. I will work this into my practice. Thanks
Triskele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #5
Matt Willis Bagpiper
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Sounds strong and neat. Left a comment..what solo scoresheet comments you might have received when using this ‘crossing noise’ D throw.
Thanks! My reply on YouTube (in case anyone else wanted to join the discussion here): "Well, (in my opinion) every heavy D throw has a crossing noise! My scores sheets generally had positive comments about my heavy D throws... Now if only my other embellishments were as good back in the day!"
Matt Willis Bagpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #6
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Too many modern era Pipers play that ghastly light D throw...as Pipe Major Angus would say..."there canna be a throw on D, without low G."
Old 06-30-2019, 05:08 AM   #7
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I was taught to play a grip (leumluath) on C, then raise the lower-hand index finger to get D. I think that's what many pipers are actually doing, though they might not be conceptualizing it in that way.

(There's often a disconnect between what musicians conceptualise they are doing and what they are actually doing.)

In any case our old PM played heavy D-throws with two clear clean Low G's in there, rather than the sloppy mess one sometimes hears.

Well he played the light D-throws too; he would use whichever one he thought was best for the situation, and would write out tunes clearly showing which D-throw he wanted us to play.

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 06-30-2019 at 05:12 AM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
Triskele
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsevenband View Post
Too many modern era Pipers play that ghastly light D throw...as Pipe Major Angus would say..."there canna be a throw on D, without low G."
But the light D throw has a low G, or did he mean the low G after that low G? Could he have been referring to how some players fail to properly sound a low G on D throws in general, or was he specifically talking about heavy D throws being superior? Also, can light D throws really be that bad if they are commonly used in Piobaireachd, or you find them just undesirable in light music? I ask these questions in a spirit of wanting to learn, not to try and criticize your post, so please don't take it that way
Triskele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:16 PM   #9
magsevenband
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triskele View Post
Could he have been referring to how some players fail to properly sound a low G on D throws in general,
Exactly...I understand the preference of some players for some situations, but there's nothing quite like the sound of a proper heavy D throw..especially with a bit of style and flair attached.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
3D Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Matt,
You mention in the video you came to using this crossing-noise technique after analyzing some of the best players. Do you have any videos for reference? I'm not saying it's wrong, but I've never seen/heard it taught this way nor have I ever heard any upper/open grade pipers play their heavy d-throws with the crossing noise technique.

-Matthew
3D Piper is offline   Reply With Quote