Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-25-2019, 12:28 AM   #1
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Was there a rise in chanter pitch at the Worlds this year?

I watched a lot of the BBC videos, but didn't test with my tuner. Did pitch rise? If so, to what number? The videos didn't seem drastically sharper this year.
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Was there a rise in chanter pitch at the Worlds this year?

I was expecting 485hz or more but while watching Saturday morning I had my tuner out listening through studio monitors. I was surprised from my readings that most G1 bands were 480, 482, 481, 484 etc.

I mentioned this elsewhere but I was also surprised that so many bands were playing Shepherd chanters. This could account for why many were in that ballpark as I think the current band Shepherd (not the 'classic' mk3) is set for 480.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:21 AM   #3
Dave
Forum Regular

Who drives this rise in pitch?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Who drives this rise in pitch?
Two possibilities come to mind

1) it's driven by the judges. If the flattest bands were regularly winning, bands in general would trend lower, and visa versa.

2) ideas about pitch, like ideas about everything else pertaining to pipe bands, is driven by the world's half-dozen top bands. The best bands have the best tone, and if it happens to be a hair sharper than the bands outside the top six, then bands in general would trend higher, and visa versa.

These theories could be tested by mapping out band pitches and ranking at every year's Worlds, to see if there is a correlation.

The ideal period to study would be the c1975-c1995 period during which the pitch rose a quartertone. Don't know if sufficient data is available.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post

Two possibilities come to mind

1) it's driven by the judges. If the flattest bands were regularly winning, bands in general would trend lower, and visa versa.

2) ideas about pitch, like ideas about everything else pertaining to pipe bands, is driven by the world's half-dozen top bands. .
Id agree youre mainly right. Some lead and others follow.
If FMM,SLOT,I&D etc suddenly added a 3rd tenor....Oy!
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #6
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

I'd love to see one of the top bands come out and win at 466hz and see everyone scramble to get vintage chanters and drone reed extenders.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

It was cold and rainy on Friday, and cool on Saturday, with periods of rain. Nobody sets out to be the highest or lowest-pitched band on the field; the conditions have a lot of influence.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote