Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 08-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
Piperchase
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Introductions - new piper

Hello, Piper here.

I'm new to piping. I've been using a practice chanter for a while now. I'll be starting myself on a set of pipes before too long. Hope to get great info from this forum.

Thanks to all already

Piper
Piperchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 08-05-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
Piperchase

Default Re: Introductions

How does one add a signature to a post?

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 09-06-2017 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary block quote of entire first post.
Piperchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
EagleJCS
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piperchase View Post
How does one add a signature to a post?
That would be on your user profile (User CP on the forum menu above), User Signature is the first link under Settings and options on the left. That puts the same signature on ALL of your posts.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings, Piperchase,

Very pleased to have you join us... and... Welcome Aboard!! :)

We (generally speaking :) have a rather happy and rollicksome
mob here... and there is much good information to be gleaned
herein... (Though six pipers... will get you... a dozen opinions!! :)

Just jump right in... and feel free to ask... anything!! (We do!! :)

All the Best!!

Pip01

Old 09-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
apease

Hi! I'm a beginner who just bought a set of McCallum pipes on a visit to Glasgow. I'm a serious (performing) amateur clarinettist and always wanted to try bagpipes. I have a day job in computer software. I've started on the practice chanter and found a local teacher. From my beginner vantage point it looks like working up to the pressure and airflow requirements of the bagpipes will be my biggest challenge. I thought after playing bass clarinet it couldn't be too bad, but more power and breath is required than I ever expected. I suppose the way forward is just a usual daily practice regimen to get stronger day by day. All advice is welcome!

Adam
apease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:39 AM   #6
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apease View Post
Hi! I'm a beginner who just bought a set of McCallum pipes on a visit to Glasgow...
A quality instructor....grade 2 or higher will make an immense difference in how you progress and how well. Set up properly...playing pipes can be almost effortless.

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 09-06-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Trimmed block quote.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
apease

el gaitero - is there any specific configuration you'd recommend? Particular drone reeds or chanter reed? I've tried putting my plastic practice chanter reed in the real chanter, in place of the cane reed, and it's easier to make the chanter sound, but just keeping the drones sounding seems to take way more pressure and breath volume than even bass clarinet played forte.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Practice chanter reeds in regular pipe chanters will not work because the blowing pressure on the pipes is much higher than on the PC.

Choice of reeds for your pipes is going to be based on a number of things, one being which make of drones they are. After that, issues such as sensitivity to unsteady blowing and moisture can affect the choice, then there's ease of setup and finally the sound.

The key is having a good instructor as he/she will be able to assist you with reed choices and pipe setup.

Also note that getting onto the full pipes is usually only undertaken after a couple of months on the PC. Even then, it can be quite a learning curve to master the art of even blowing, strength, and finger dexterity.

However, the end result is well worth it.

Charlie
Old 09-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apease View Post
el gaitero - is there any specific configuration you'd recommend?
I'd recommend MG carbon reeds to go with your Mccallum pipes. Selbie is another good choice. Noodle Google to find the Pipers Dojo vid of how to set the drone reeds most air efficient. Learn a little too about tuning your drones.

Don't waste time with the practice chanter reed in your pipe chanter. Check out pipers Hut in OH to get an easy strength cane reed. Shepherd standard reed goes well in Mccallum chanters. Ask the owner Jon to personally pressure check them to give you some reeds that are 20-25" max h20 strength.

Play for 15-20 min. with only one drone..any drone..plug the others... then two drones, on so on.

With drones set efficiently and a useable chanter reed in a week or two you'll be on your way. Perserverence.

do you have a basic synthetic bag or hybrid syn bag? What maker?

Do you have a proper experienced instructor? That would be a huge help.

Last edited by Andrew Lenz; 09-06-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Trimmed block quote
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
apease

Many thanks for all the advice. My instructor seems like a pro - I've listened to his CD's. He adjusted my instrument and reeds and sounded good playing them. I'm probably just jumping the gun looking for advice since I won't have a second lesson until a week from now. I'll try stoppering the drones for now, and ask my instructor about reed choices. I have a McCallum AB3 with a synthetic bag and EZdrone reeds.