Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 04-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
JustinS
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Need opinions on a GHB first set

Hello all hope everyone is enjoying there day. I'm a beginner and mostly self taught and had a tutor for awhile. I've been on the practice chanter for 7 months and I'm looking for opinions on what brand GHB to get . I'm not in a band I'm just more of a hobbyist type. I do practice everyday for about an hour though. I like the sound of mccallums. Maclellan are very nice also but a little too rich for my blood. I would appreciate any opinions
JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 04-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #2
Piparoo
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Need opinions on a GHB first set

Congrats on getting ready to purchase your first set of pipes! Are you looking for new or are you considering used? Poly or Blackwood? Other new makers that you haven’t already mentioned that may be worth considering,
D. Macpherson
Dunbar
John Walsh

These are all really competitively priced with McCallums and are well made.

I own an ABW set of D. MacPhersons and a poly set of Walshs. They are both fine to look at and sound great - as good as I can make them sound anyway.

Have fun!
Piparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:37 PM   #3
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Whichever,...endeavor to get a Canmore hybrid bag of the right size ...and a blowstick of the correct length.

Last edited by el gaitero; 04-06-2019 at 06:53 PM.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #4
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

I suffered for 6 years with a Canmore balloon bag and the stock chanter in my McCallums and I don't recomend it. Changing to a real bag was life changing! I went to a Willi McCalum bag and play either a Kyo or Dunbar Elite chanter now with a cane bass and Canning drone reeds that have been foolproof for 9 years.

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
I suffered for 6 years with a Canmore balloon bag and the stock chanter in my McCallums and I don't recomend it. Changing to a real bag was life changing! I went to a Willi McCalum bag and play either a Kyo or Dunbar Elite chanter now with a cane bass and Canning drone reeds that have been foolproof for 9 years.
Yes...the syn balloon bag can't hold a candle to any hybrid . I did use a WMC for a few years..tben found the canmore hybrid to be even,more like the real deal...and without the upkeep. The mccallum new CEOL chanter now being supplied is fantastic. I played the .cannings for a few years but have for the past 7-8 months found the MG white mamba to be quite. Impressive.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
kful
Forum Regular

Duncan MacRae Reproduction Bagpipes, made by McCallum!

-El Guapo
kful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:19 AM   #7
salmunmousavi
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kful View Post
Duncan MacRae Reproduction Bagpipes, made by McCallum!

Seconded. MacRae’s have two different bore sizes on their tenors, producing a richer sound. Also they offer a 10 year warranty which is wonderful, though they’re very well built and durable.

And like everybody already said, get yourself the proper length blowpipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite possibly one of the only Iranian players of the Highland Pipes in the world.
salmunmousavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:52 AM   #8
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

My advice is to buy from a reputable maker. There will lots of suggestions as to 'buy this' or 'buy that' , just buy what YOU like. You seem to already know the sound you're after, and that's half the battle.

McCallum (inc Duncan MacRae)
RG Hardie (inc Peter Henderson)
David Naill

are 3 big names that produce a quality instrument, but there are others too. Happy shopping.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 05:20 AM   #9
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post
Yes...the syn balloon bag can't hold a candle to any hybrid .

Angus MacColl seems to manage all right.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:28 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

Angus MacColl seems to manage all right.
Yes , I know Angus has had a second gen Canmore bag on one or so of his pipes. A great example of how well one can be played.
For the noob starting on pipes i steer them to skip the drama and start with a good hybrid until becoming accomplished If wishing to address a syn bag.
I’ve played early and current Canmore and other syn bags a few times on various pipes I’ve owned over decades. No issue but...Meh....why bother,I think.
If not an eg Gannaway or sheep, Canmore hybrid is the closest imho. Funny,..imo,..prob the darndest thing about a syn bag is when you’re not playing it....standing around balancing the drones to stand up on one’s shoulder.