Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
actussing
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Husk Reed Strength?

Can anybody describe for me the difference in Shawn Husk's reed strengths? He offers them in senior/beginner, easy, medium/easy, medium, and hard and I'm wondering if anybody has done, or knows of, a comparison between the strengths.
actussing is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #2
William McKenzie
Forum Clasp

Default Re: Husk Reed Strength?

I don't mean this in a condescending way but have you asked the man? He's great to talk to.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #3
actussing

Sent an email. Haven't received a response. I would have preferred to call, but the only contact information on his website is an email address.

Last edited by actussing; 06-22-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: adding to answer
Old 06-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by actussing View Post

Can anybody describe for me the difference in Shawn Husk's reed strengths? He offers them in senior/beginner, easy, medium/easy, medium, and hard and I'm wondering if anybody has done, or knows of, a comparison between the strengths.
If you know the h2o strength of reeds you like to play (measured with a manometer after several tunes ) he can send you some. 24-25-26” would be ‘easy’-ish.... many upper level players use ‘medium’...ca 30”/up to a few inches above. Next category is ‘hard’...32/33+
A (new) reed will usually ease about 2” h2o below its initial strength after a short bit of playing...then reverts in post session drying. Several good sessions will help break it in and somewhat stabilise. YRMV.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

Hi all,

I just bought 4 easy's and they are the easiest easy's I have yet bought out of all the ones I have tried and required nothing other than some moisture to make it work.

The other thing is with all the reeds I have tried Iv'e usually had to tape the top notes and I have one in a Dunbar elite currently that needed no tape to be close enough!

Anyway the best reed I have come across so far!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
actussing

Thanks for the responses! I got in touch with Shawn via Facebook and have subsequently placed an order.