Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Do It Yourself (DIY)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Do It Yourself (DIY) Making and repairing of instruments, accessories, and more.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #1
tanks hobyman
Forum Regular

Default Conditioning an old leather bag

I have a 10 yr. old leather bag that has never been used.
the leather is pretty dry but not cracked. Can a bag like this be made serviceable? Open to all suggestions.

Tanks
tanks hobyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-17-2019, 06:44 PM   #2
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Conditioning an old leather bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks hobyman View Post
I have a 10 yr. old leather bag that has never been used.
the leather is pretty dry but not cracked. Can a bag like this be made serviceable? Open to all suggestions.

Tanks
What kind of bag?....while watching tv one night...take it and blow warm moist breath into it for a while via the chanter stock opening...assuming it hasn't been cut for other stocks. If you want to bother...tie in a chanter stock and plug on a moose valve to facilitate blowing it up ...airtight...and slowly absorb moisture to rehydrate. I’d do it for a few hours ( over days) ..if it gets hard and stays hard for 15-20 seconds it’s likely ok...good to go ...real full tie-in and seasoning.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 PM   #3
John Bolt
Holy smoking keyboard!

My old bag is 55 and she puts on face cream and stuff in the morning and it's worked well!

Single malt scotch more than just a breakfast drink
John Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:20 AM   #4
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
My old bag is 55 and she puts on face cream and stuff in the morning and it's worked well!

can we please not

Re bag, yes, most likely it will be fine. Tie it on and pour a tub of seasoning in, watch in wonder as the bag absorbs almost all of it. Play ten minutes a day and most likely re-season after a fortnight or so.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post

Tie it on and pour a tub of seasoning in, watch in wonder as the bag absorbs almost all of it.
I’d thot a lesser haste to the wedding approach might be advisable...and season sparingly. The OP didn’t mention the bag maker...but if ‘leather’ and only 10 years old it’s surely a ‘new tanning process’ bag only requiring a relatively small quantity.
Otherwise might be rather like squishing around playing with a semi-melted can of Crisco. Messy on a toasty day in the field.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bolt View Post
…and what would you like played at your funeral after she reads this?

Seriously, I'd second El Gaitero's approach. My first hide bag easily lasted through 10 years being played. It may depend on which bagmaker's process to which seasoning you should use. If It's Gannaway, you'd be wise to use their primer first.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
tanks hobyman
Forum Regular

Thank you Gaitero, Calumn II and Klondike Waldo for your informative and straight forward answers. The bag is an old cowhide bag that was tied-in but never seasoned. I will definitely start with the warm air approach though it is going to take a lot of warm air to regenerate this ol' boy.

Calumn II: which brand of seasoning would you recommend?

Mr. Bolt: I leave you to your own defenses.

Tanks
Old 05-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

I use Robertsons in preference to Airtight, and have no meaningful experience of any other products currently going. I hasten to add that it is over twenty years since I last seasoned a cow though!

I suppose I should add that having poured the seasoning in, one should pour it back out at some stage reasonable shortly thereafter...
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #9
tanks hobyman
Forum Regular

Thanks Calumn II. With your guys help, I have great expectations.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #10
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks hobyman View Post
Thank you Gaitero, Calumn II and Klondike Waldo for your informative and straight forward answers. The bag is an old cowhide bag that was tied-in but never seasoned. I will definitely start with the warm air approach though it is going to take a lot of warm air to regenerate this ol' boy.

Calumn II: which brand of seasoning would you recommend?

Mr. Bolt: I leave you to your own defenses.

Tanks
Plug up the stock holes with a good fit large cork ..or tape over with duct tape...to give you a bag to blow in for a while ...; someone else I think mentioned water. Had a former student call out of the blue after a long hiatus....wanted to get his pipes going..thot the gannaway I tied on for him 10 or so years prior was shot. He came by..I stoppered the stocks and poured a half cup or so of warm water and gave it a good shake for a few minutes and dumped it off. Eeewww. But the bag held air quite well/ tight...then he seasoned a bit a few days later. Tickety boo for several more years ..then he finally got a hybrid bag.