Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-14-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Angus MacBagpipe
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Using Ross MCS, Drone Reeds Still Wet

Hi, All: I'm using a Ross MCS in my Bannatyne hybrid bag installed in my Gillanders & McLeod pipes. Tonight after about a 30-minute practice, I took a look at my drone reeds and found all three saturated with moisture. I have all the little colored tabs closed on the cannister/manifold so all the air from the blow pipe is directed into the desiccant before going into the drones. The tubing seems to be intact throughout the system. I've read several testimonials about the Ross system (which is why I invested in it in the first place), and they all (it seems) claim their drones at the end of a session are as dry as they were at the beginning. Wondering what I might be doing wrong. Any thoughts?
Angus MacBagpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Using Ross MCS, Drone Reeds Still Wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus MacBagpipe View Post
Hi, All: I'm using a Ross MCS in my Bannatyne hybrid bag installed in my Gillanders & McLeod pipes. Tonight after about a 30-minute practice, I took a look at my drone reeds and found all three saturated with moisture. I have all the little colored tabs closed on the cannister/manifold so all the air from the blow pipe is directed into the desiccant before going into the drones. The tubing seems to be intact throughout the system. I've read several testimonials about the Ross system (which is why I invested in it in the first place), and they all (it seems) claim their drones at the end of a session are as dry as they were at the beginning. Wondering what I might be doing wrong. Any thoughts?
How much kitty litter is in each compartment? Completely full? If so, when was it last dried?
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
Angus MacBagpipe

Kitty litter compartments are full. They've never been dried, as in an oven, but I have left them in the open air often. I live in Colorado, so I figured the dry air around here would do the job...

I've looked at the kitty litter, and it doesn't appear wet, but then, I don't really know how to tell for sure.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
Kelly the boy from...
Forum Member

I'm in Denver and use the Ross MCS. In fact almost everyone in our band does. It takes hours of playing before the drone reeds get any moisture on them. Try drying the litter out for 5 minutes or so in a microwave. Find better directions than that elsewhere.
Kelly the boy from... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #5
Angus MacBagpipe

Okay. Fried the sand for 5 minutes, which resulted in a loss of water-weight of nearly 2 oz. I'm thinking the desiccant was wetter than I suspected?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:32 PM   #6
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

Be careful, you can bake the kitty litter and it will become less effective, it also seems to become less effective with age. I only ever did about 1/2 of what the instructions said, but dried the drones after almost every play.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #7
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I am in the Denver area and have found that dessicants do not need tons of drying. We are quite fortunate in that we live in a dry habitat.

However, the dessicants still need some maintenance to ensure that they work to their best.

Another option is to use a tube trap such as the TrapDri. I installed one in my Gannaway and found that I no longer needed any dessicants and I also do not need to season the bag for moisture control.

Charlie
Old 09-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
OldPipes

Are you certain that you don't have a lose hose or a cracked hose? Also make certain the bypasses aren't open if you are using a newer red canister with bypasses on the diffuser ports. Just a few suggestions.
OldPipes is offline   Reply With Quote