Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-15-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
Gus1903
Forum Member

Default Stocks in Canmore Bag

Got a new Canmore Synthetic (Medium) bag a week or two ago. Very happy with it comfort wise and seems to be airtight.

There's only one thing that's bothering me - I can twist the stocks in the grommets. I noticed it with the blowpipe stock at first, but I now realise I can do it with all of them (except chanter of course).

Although as I said it seems to be quite airtight it is a bit disconcerting!

It is normal or has anyone ever noticed this before?
Gus1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Stocks in Canmore Bag

You have the usual O-rings in he stock grooves, I would guess, which might be enough to keep it airtight, though I'd be a bit bothered by the rotation as well. If it bothers you, perhaps you could wrap some some-seal silicon rubber tape around the grommet/stock junction.

I've had two Canmore bags and used teh self-seal tape on the grommet one, even though I never noticed the stocks rotating. I did fail after five years . splitting at teh base of the Bass drone grommet just as I was to start playing before a wedding. I ripped off the rest of the grommet and tied the stock into the bag with a bootlace and secured it with electrical tape. I suspect they're made batter nowadays.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
Toxpert
Forum Regular

You may need to install band clamps to ensure no leaks. There is no single standard for the diameter of stocks or for bag grommets.

For a set of pipes with smaller diameter stocks (like vintage Glens)...a bag like the Moose Bagpipe Products has slightly smaller grommets that fit more tightly than Canmore and require no self-sealing tape or clamps.

Last edited by Toxpert; 09-15-2018 at 12:05 PM.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
piper_hm
Forum Gold Medal

They supply tape for the grommets, which works very well.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Not being able to twist stocks is a good rule of thumb, but to be honest in practice stocks can twirl freely and still be airtight and last. I've got one on my sheep and it's tight as a drum.

I'd agree whacking some tape on it if you're nervous will do no harm.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #6
jackhawkpiper97
Forum Clasp

Even just a few wrap-arounds (done tidily) around the top edge of the grommet and the stock will provide the peace of mind that you are looking for. I am betting that you have electrical tape around your house somewhere, and it's always good to have around with bagpipe chanters

Otherwise, you may just want to reach out to Canmore if it's nagging at you
Jack
Old 09-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
Toxpert
Forum Regular

Rather than electrical, try the self-sealing tape. Electrical tape tends to ooze out gummy adhesive after a while.
Toxpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #8
Lochie
Forum Regular

I've spent more than a few hours mounting 3/4 size pipes into current market bags with grommets. To make up for the fact that they are undersized, I use 2" pieces of a bicycle innertube as a snug wrap over the stock itself. Soapy water then permits it to slide into place, and once dry, rock solid. I also finish with a wrap of tape as added insurance.
However this fix might be overkill for your situation...
Lochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochie View Post
I've spent more than a few hours mounting 3/4 size pipes into current market bags with grommets. To make up for the fact that they are undersized, I use 2" pieces of a bicycle innertube as a snug wrap over the stock itself. Soapy water then permits it to slide into place, and once dry, rock solid. I also finish with a wrap of tape as added insurance.
However this fix might be overkill for your situation...
Using a bike tire tube over the collars is a Great idea. Iíve also used it as a double layer of protection stretched over the pesky head of the chanter stock metal clamp after filing the sharp edges off a bit.
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote