Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #21
Klondike Waldo
Holy smoking keyboard!

Send a message via AIM to Klondike Waldo
Default Re: Canmore Hybrid bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwindbag View Post
I'm currently using a Bannatyne hybird large. Prior to this I had Bannatyne hybrid medium. Neither seems to be the winner. Sadly there is no extended medium. The Canmore ext-medium and large are in between the Bannatynes.

I've heard some of past history of the Canmores falling apart, but it seemed more rumor and opinion than "this is what happened to me".

Any feedback on the quality of the bags and/or comparison to the Bannatynes would be helpful.

Windbag

I had two Canmore bags in succession, and both developed leaks- the first (first generation) bag developed a leak in the throat area under the blowpipe stock. I patched that with Shoe Goo while awaiting the arrival of the second, this time with grommets. The second bag failed at the bass drone grommet, suddenly, cracking open just as I was tuning up for a wedding. I was able to re-tie in the stock and play in time, but that was the last synthetic bag and the last bag with grommets for me. Neither of those early Canmore bags were hybrids. My next two bags were Gannaway simple hide bags. The first thing I noticed was that the pipes sounded more "Alive" with the hide bag. ( Not a total loss, I cleaned the failed bag and made a foul weather inner lining for one of my bonnets ;-)

That said, if it comes to replacing the current bag down the line, I'd definitely consider a Canmore hybrid bag.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #22
Dave Gallagher
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have been playing the Canmore Hybrid for over a year and have had no problems. Best bag I have used. If needed I will buy one again.
Dave Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM   #23
William McKenzie
Forum Gold Medal

In terms of comparing sizes and comparing Bannatyne bags, I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned the Willie McCallum Bannatyne.

I have the hybrid version which is black (looks like Bannatyne have switched to a more natural tan or brown now like hide et cetera) but the cut, size, and feel are great I think. Nice compromise between an extended small and a medium both of which I've owned from Bannatyne. I don't have any experience with Canmore other than I've played other people's sets that had the GoreTex style version and I really didn't like the feel of that. I have had Gannaway bags and enjoyed them.

Are the newer Canmore hybrid bags similar to the Bannatyne?
Old 02-26-2019, 10:31 AM   #24
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=William McKenzie;1335247

Are the newer Canmore hybrid bags similar to the Bannatyne?[

/QUOTE]

In my experience the Canmore hybrid is a bit beefier feel under the arm than the other. The diff between a Large and Medium is only 3/4”.... So most everyone I know has got the size large. It’s a nice airtight football feel.

I think it’s a great bag...someway too it seems to control moisture a bit ‘better’..I use a simple pour off tube trap with an added trap-dri
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #25
DapperDan
Forum Member

For a "medium" sized bag, I think the Canmore is **slightly** smaller than the Bannatyne, in terms of diameter, or girth if you like. Maybe this is only since they redesigned it, since some vendors list it as being comparatively large (maybe it used to be?).

Now that I've been playing my spare pipes with the Canmore hybrid bag for the past few weeks, it feels too narrow to me. I'd like it to feel more plump when full. This is of course just my personal preference, I have a lanky build, so lots of room under my arm to fit a plump bag. I looked up the measurements, which aren't always the same depending on which vendor's tables you're looking at, but according to Canmore and Bannatyne themselves, the Canmore is about a 1/4" less deep. Bannatyne gives their sizes in "millimeters," whatever those are, making it tough for a yank like me to relate to, but I think it comes out to 10 1/2" for a medium; Canmore lists their medium as 10 1/4". I can't believe how much I miss that 1/4"! I'm getting used to it.
Otherwise, fine bag. Strike-ins are great, moisture hasn't been a problem, absolutely airtight.

Last edited by DapperDan; 02-26-2019 at 04:34 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I have a Bannatyne hybrid extended small, old version with the black hide covering, on one of my GHBs and a Canmore hybrid extended small on my main GHB. Although they are both 9.5" bags, I find that the Bannatyne feels bigger under my arm because it sems much rounder when inflated. The Canmore has a shape more like that of a traditional hide bag, i.e. a sort of inverted teardrop. Personally, I find the Canmore shape much more comfortable, especially with the cut-away front that eliminates pressure on my forearm. (I'm waiting for the Bannatyne bag to fail so that I can replace it with a Canmore, but the darn thing just won't die, even though I've been playing it for at least 9 years.

Yes, the old, green Canmore bags were bigger than the current ones. The old Large, for example, was a 12" bag, while the current large is 11" in depth.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #27
William McKenzie
Forum Gold Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gaitero View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post
Are the newer Canmore hybrid bags similar to the Bannatyne?
In my experience the Canmore hybrid is a bit beefier feel under the arm than the other. The diff between a Large and Medium is only 3/4”.... So most everyone I know has got the size large. It’s a nice airtight football feel.

I think it’s a great bag...someway too it seems to control moisture a bit ‘better’..I use a simple pour off tube trap with an added trap-dri
Interesting.. makes me curious about it. My WMC Bannatyne is in great condition and I'm about to purchase pipes so I don't have any funds or need to switch to a Canmore but I do like the sound of it. Especially if it's similar to hide in the cut.

But again I think the WMC bag is great since it's not simply a medium or an extended small, it's shape has been narrowed below the blowpipe and has good under arm feel.

Last edited by William McKenzie; 02-28-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Quotes
William McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #28
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=William McKenzie;1335295

... it's shape has been narrowed below the blowpipe and has good under arm feel.[/QUOTE]

Actually the ‘narrowness’ feel under the arm may be more a result of the blowstick stock moved forward about an inch.

For me ( sleeve length 34”) I found I felt a bit ‘T-Rex’ while playing ...so I traded over to the Canmore hybrid. A few years ago I had just got a new set of acetyl pipes with a Canmore ‘standard’ size large hybrid bag and liked the heftier feel.
So I put the same bag on my abw pipes also.

If you wear a shorter sleeve length,..say 32”.. ( what a guideline to configure your pipes 😁)the WMC would i think be suitable. Bannatyne is a comparable quality bag IMO...I just prefer the real or imagined heftier Canmore.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:59 PM   #29
William McKenzie
Forum Gold Medal

I do have longer arms, 34" sleeve length. Wonder how a Canmore Hybrid in medium would do for me.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:26 AM   #30
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William McKenzie View Post

I do have longer arms, 34" sleeve length. Wonder how a Canmore Hybrid in medium would do for me.
Fwiw ...under the old dictum “ play the largest bag you can manage”....the difference between the Canmore M and L is a mere 3/4”. So I advise to get a L. You’ll never feel it. i think nobody would.

As a sidebar...I played a wedding yesterday...temps in upper 30’s initially..the low 40’sF.

I use only a vinyl tube trap..with a trapdri. I played two stints outside on/off during an hour each...lots of tunes. I poured off a good bit a few times during each.

When I got back home and laid out my pipes to dry..I was pleased and surprised the inside of the bag was fully dry to the touch. Brilliant.