Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
JRCASEY
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Glencoe Canada Bagpipes????

Hey Folks,

Has anyone ever heard about Glencoe Bagpipes? From what I gather they were made by a previous craftsman that worked for Lawrie in the 70's by Matt Marshall who immigrated to the London, ON. area.

I found them in a local pawn shop today, picked them up. Reeds in and a little hemp and they are a solid sounding set of pipes.

Let me know

Cheers,

John Casey
Windsor.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
Ken Fitzpatrick
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Glencoe Canada Bagpipes????

Hi, theres this article.... http://www.thebagpipeplace.com/Glencoe.html
Old 01-23-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
Patrick McLaurin
Holy smoking keyboard!

I also have a set of glencoe bagpipes. I love their tone with Canning reeds in them. Just lovely.
Patrick McLaurin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #4
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

I doubt that Glencoe pipes were made in London, Ontario. I lived in London in the 1970s and 1980s, was PM of the City of London Police Pipes and Drums in the mid-1970s and was playing with the grade 1 MacNish Distillery, based in the nearby town of St. Thomas, throughout the period (1978-1981) when Glencoe pipes were apparently being made. Had there been a pipe maker active in London at that time, I would certainly have heard about it. The Canadian Encyclopedia, in the article "Bagpipes", indicates that Matt Marshall was making pipes in Bowmanville, a town east of Toronto and about 140 miles from London. There is also a town called Glencoe about 40 miles southwest of London. I wonder if Marshall might have lived and set up his business there, hence the name he gave his pipes. He could easily have commuted to a full-time job in London, as did others from that area. There was no significant piping activity in Glencoe, no local pipe band, although there was a quite good grade 4 band in the town of Strathroy , 20-30 minutes away, in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
David Marshall
Holy smoking keyboard!

John lets see some pictures!!!! Looking forward to it.

Matt Marshall is not related to me although the Marshall's came to London/Woodstock in about 1913 from Port Seton, Scotland.

Dave
David Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 05:53 AM   #6
Wayne Fisher
Forum Regular

Wasn't Gord Tuck making pipes in St Thomas around that time? I have a few of his poly chanters kicking around from about that era. I have heard a few of his pipes and must say they are very nice looking and sound great.

Wayne
Wayne Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
JRCASEY
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Default Re: Glencoe Canada Bagpipes???? w pics

Here's a link of some pics I took with my phone, not the best quality.

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/tr...ncoe%20Bagpipe
Old 01-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
acadianpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Fisher View Post
Wasn't Gord Tuck making pipes in St Thomas around that time? I have a few of his poly chanters kicking around from about that era. I have heard a few of his pipes and must say they are very nice looking and sound great.

Wayne
Yes. Gord made all the chanters played by the MacNish Distillery band at that time. He was also making full sets of pipes and poly long PCs. The band used to practice in Gord's aluminum products plant, where he also made pipes. I still have a vivid memory of standing in the circle near Gord's stock of ABW billets. I have a set of Tuck pipes made in 2006 from some of that same ABW left over from the 1980s. Mounted with David Marshall hand-engraved silver and imitation ivory, they are a beautiful set with a big, rich drone sound.
acadianpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #9
David Marshall
Holy smoking keyboard!

I remember delivering those sets of silver. I think he made 4 sets that time. He had beautiful 30 yr old wood and what an amazing workshop. You walked through a door from his lovely Victorian home and stepped into an amazing professional machine shop. He was emulating his early Henderson pipes and did an outstanding job.
David Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:45 AM   #10
classicbagpipes
Holy smoking keyboard!

I saw Gord as we judged together at the St Andrews Detroit games, and he still had some 50 year old "aged" ABW that he was currently turning into full sets of pipes.
classicbagpipes is offline   Reply With Quote