Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 12-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #1
Larry Samuels
Forum Regular

Default Ever found piping imagery at memorial park?

I play for a lot of funerals, as do many of you. While waiting, I often look at the stones and memorials - often, they commemorate the person's interests (as well as listing names/dates). Yesterday, I found one couple who had "Gone Fishing" on their memorial stone... a nice thought.

Have you every seen any piping imagery on (modern) gravestones? For some of us pipers, it's a major part of our life, I can imagine putting something on your final resting place to commemorate it.

(If I remember right, some of the oldest records of pipes are from old church and gravestone carvings in the UK, but that's not the sort of thing I'm asking about. )

Larry
Larry Samuels is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 12-13-2019, 08:28 AM   #2
BaggyMcPipes
Forum Regular

Default Re: Ever found piping imagery at memorial park?

I never have, but I like the idea, I think I'll have some pipes on my stone when I go...
BaggyMcPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

A fellow piper here in Alaska, and a good friend, recently (last summer) had his gravestone created and placed before he died. He piped at his own gravestone placement last summer (somewhere in South Dakota) with his family present (they had no idea he was doing this, he somehow got them all to meet out at the cemetary).

Apparently the gravestone makers now claim that they can put color on the stones and it will not fade so he had his Watson Clan Tartan swatch engraved in the lower right corner and then he had the first 4 bars of "Cock of the North" engraved at the top. He did not put the title of the tune on the stone.....that's for other's to figure out. He also put an outline of a bagpipe on the stone.

I'll try to get him to send me the picture he took and will post it here.

Jenni
Old 12-15-2019, 08:33 AM   #4
PNB
Forum Regular

What a cool idea, Burp!
Old 12-16-2019, 05:03 AM   #5
DCampbell
Forum Regular

When I was over in Scotland many years ago I spent my time in the Highlands and Islands. I saw quite a few gravestones with the words "Tog Orm Mo Phiob" which translates as "Give me my pipes" or more literally "Lift on me my pipes". As if one needed a little help for that last go at them.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

If I’m not mistaken, John MacFadyen’s gravestone has the first few bars of ‘Beloved Scotland’ carved into it.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:38 PM   #7
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Greetings to All,

In my last sojourn to France... along with several
others... I was told of an out-of-the-way inland,
very rural, and forested battleground in Normandy
where... in an inclosure... there is a small stone
monument... with a plaque... and beside it there
is a statue... of a piper in battledress.

Now exactly where this might be... I couldn't say...
but I'm told it's there.

Regards to All,

Pip01

Old 12-17-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
piper Q
Forum Silver Medal

While I've never see the image of a piper, set of pipes, or staff music for pipes engraved upon a stone here in the USA, I know the monument carvers are quite capable of it. As for colorized images set in stone, I've seen both black & white, and limited color insets on stones in Europe, Germany and Croatia being two nations I've had the fortune to visit extensively for work.

Often the design is carved into the block, filled with color and then sealed with a long lasting synthetic. Other were photo-etched and clear coated over to seal the artwork. All that I've seen since the 1990's.

Commonly, at the National Cemeteries here in the USA, the stones will have a basic symbol of faith, and what words the family may request carved upon the stone within the bounds of it's size limits.

For other stones, the limiting variable is amount that some would spend beyond the basic inscriptions. for myself, four distinct symbols would be an incomplete and expansive story at the same time. However some imagery may have Trademark Licensing requirements which would prohibit incorporation. But a generic appearing set of bagpipes would probably never raise a problem. Yet, for those who've never seen a set it may present a confusing low relief image when set in stone.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #9
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp birl View Post
A fellow piper here in Alaska, and a good friend, recently (last summer) had his gravestone created and placed before he died. He piped at his own gravestone placement last summer (somewhere in South Dakota) with his family present (they had no idea he was doing this, he somehow got them all to meet out at the cemetary).

Apparently the gravestone makers now claim that they can put color on the stones and it will not fade so he had his Watson Clan Tartan swatch engraved in the lower right corner and then he had the first 4 bars of "Cock of the North" engraved at the top. He did not put the title of the tune on the stone.....that's for other's to figure out. He also put an outline of a bagpipe on the stone.

I'll try to get him to send me the picture he took and will post it here.

Jenni

So I have a couple of pictures to share but cannot for the life of me figure out how to share!

What am I doing wrong??
Old 12-22-2019, 06:33 AM   #10
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

The quickest way of doing it is to upload them to something like Imgur and just pop a link here - less fiddling than trying to resize images to fit and then hotlinking them.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote