Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 02-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Default Dominant Naill drones - which reeds to use?

Naill drones circa 3 years old. Ezees. Loud and dominating the chanter.

Could anyone recommend a make of reeds to tame these drones and bring the pipe into balance?

With exactly the same set up in my Robertsons (i.e. Ezees and same chanter) no such problems.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Roddy Livingstone
Forum Gold Medal

Default Re: Dominant Naill drones - which reeds to use?

Very surprised that this is your experience with Ezee’s & would suggest either that with adjustment you will find an acceptable volume or, that perhaps the reeds are past their best.

If you want to try something different, Selbie’s go well in Naill drones and are the brand which Naill generally supply with their pipes.
Roddy Livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #3
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Thanks Roddy.

I have Selbies in my reed collection and will give them a try. In Pat Mclaurin's excellent drone reed review he also suggests Cannings and Xtremes. I have those too and will try them.

I think it's the tenors causing the problem. The middle one (closest to my ear) is overpowering.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:23 AM   #4
teuchter46
Forum Gold Medal

For what it’s worth I have Xtremes in my (4 year old) Naill drones. You may find they want blu-tac in the tuning screws to tune with the tenors on the hemp.

I had an old set of Ezees that were not easy to balance in them but had them refurbished and they are now good and stable. So your Ezees may benefit from a trip back to Pipe Dreams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2019, 01:18 AM   #5
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

Thanks Bob.

Just to make clear I'm not complaining about the Ezees per se - I'm entirely happy with the same reeds in my Robertsons.

I suppose it's to be expected that the same drone reeds will produce a different dynamic in a relatively new pipe compared with a different make ~70 years older. Obviously the wood will have aged more in the Robertsons and presumably the internal dimensions differ too.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #6
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

A full set of X-Treme reeds will work well in the Naills. I find the tenors a tad quieter than Ezees with different harmonics that complement the bass well.
piper_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
milwiron
Forum Silver Medal

Canning tenors and a cane bass are smooth and pretty mellow in my set of Naills.
milwiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Like Roddy, I am rather baffled and would like to understand what's going on before trying to solve a problem I don't understand.
A recording might be helpful.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #9
John Buchanan
Forum Silver Medal

My son plays Ezee tenors and an original Kinnaird bass and it sounds great. The Cannings are definitely more mellow to my ears than the Ezees so if you're finding them out of balance to the chanter, they would be a good place to start.

You may have mentioned this already, but how old is your chanter reed? New reeds are brighter and maybe, if you're playing an older reed, it's giving a duller sound. Perhaps, that's why it sounds out of balance.

Cheers,

John
John Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Don Smith
Forum Silver Medal

If its just the tenor closest to your ear, its probably an indication that the reed in that drone is too open and needs the bridle moved to close it down. This will also quiet the reed. Alternately, the bridle may be wearing out and is no longer keeping proper tension on the tongue of the reed allowing the reed to be too open.

Don