Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Bill Carr
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Dumb things pipers do (or say)

The "Dumb Things Non Pipers Do" thread gave me an idea... The dumb things pipers do or say! Here are a couple of things I am guilty off in the early days when I was trying learn as much about the pipes as possible but without any firm guidance.

Glued the chanter reed in place with a hot glue gun once I found the right balance.

Stood under a ceiling fan trying to tune drones and could not figure out why the "Wa wa wa" sound jut wouldn't stop.

Was so concentrated on the pipes that I missed the signal to counter march in a parade and kept marching straight ahead when the rest of the band had turned....

Put my pipe case on the back of my MC but didn't strap it down properly. On braking hard before a swing I saw the case skate along the road in front of me at about 60 MPH. Lucky no damage to the pipes but the case was wrecked..

Turned up at an important band gig without my blowpipe... P/M not amused!

Bill
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #2
TwitchyFingers
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

Clunking my bass drone top on low doorways.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:37 AM   #3
Adam Sanderson

Packing my pipe case for a trip up to Aberdeenshire, checked all reeds, accessories, etc. Rehemped joints on pipes, checked bag and joints for airtightness, everything rock solid.
Flew to Aberdeen, left kids with my folks, went up foothills of Grampians, found the perfect spot to bla' awa' the cobwebs. Took pipes out of case-----no chanter.

Realise chanter is 500 miles away lying on my bed.

Eat sandwiches, drink flask of tea, go back to Aberdeen, buy poly chanter so that the week isn't a complete waste, laugh about it later in pub.

It's something I don't intend to do again.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

1)Forget to take the chanter out after a long playing session, open the case a week later and find out the reed is covered with mould. Nasty.
2)Forget to zip the bag shut after mucking with the MCS, wonder why I can't blow up the pipes.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Sean A. McCartney
Forum Clasp

Just minutes to go before a solo comp, breaking a Naill chanter by holding it in the middle while pulling it out of the stock.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #6
Jim Sloan
Holy smoking keyboard!

Tuned the band to my solo chanter.

My band chanter now has yellow safety striping tape on the chanter cap.

Jim

Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
jessierose
Forum Regular

My first lesson in front of my great new teacher, I shoulder my pipes, open my music, and blow...and blow and blow and blow and blow.......
I had unzipped my bag to nuke the drying junk and didn't rezip. I looked like a dummy trying to inflate a bag with a 6 inch hole in it!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
Leonardlawrence
Forum Member

Preping formy first ever trip n an airplane with my pipes. I am leaving from logan so I know make sure to take out any liquids. Goof off, t-zip grease. Things like that. I go trough the check and they pull me a side. Yup I am the dumb as that left a sraight razor in the case. What a terrible mess.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
Ed Grundy
Forum Regular

I like to make a big honkin blooter in the circle, and just when everyone looks up, I give the newbie next to me a dirty look.

I've wondered why my chanter wasn't making noise and forgot i left the piper pal stopper up the chanter.

A stinky fart just as the tone guy comes to do my drones is always good for a laugh too.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #10
LisaB
Forum Clasp

Announced to the judge (whom I greatly admired and was nervous as heck to play in front of) that I was going to play "High Road to Gairloch" and then proceeded to happily play "Liberton Pipe Band".

I didn't even have the consolation of the tunes being somewhat similar.

If you have noticed this notice you will have noticed that this notice is not worth noticing.