Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Read Only Archive > Beer Tent Archive
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent Archive Old threads from the Beer Tent Forum.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 03-07-2008, 02:18 PM   #31
Don Watts
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Dumb things pipers do (or say)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyx
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the "Do" category: I tend get a little annoyed when the designated band tuner just shoves down or yanks up on my drones. A simple twist is all it takes. Also a bit troubling when said individual wraps his clammy hands around my recently shined silver. Touch the wood only please!
I couldn't agree more! My drones are easily tuned with two fingers only--no need to get all caveman on them...just a slight twist is all it takes...one way goes up, the other way goes down--all directions are the same on all drones. It's not hard to figure out. Luckily, said designated tuner does not tune anymore...and the other one who volunteered, doesn't anymore.

I don't have silver, but if I did...I'd feel the same way. </div></div>

Just make sure your designated tuner can’t come back with: “If you’d spend as much time learning how to tune your drones as you do polishing your silver, I wouldn’t need to touch them.”

www.boisehighlanders.com
Gold Sponsor
Old 03-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #32
Piper_06
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicbagpipes
Used to do miles and miles driving with my knees, but never in the snow.
That's because in Atlanta if it snows, everything stops.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #33
Hunter S
Forum Silver Medal

I remember when I very first began playing- I had a set of Dunbar P-1's, and I had just gottne my chnater and drones all set up and the pipes ready to go. Knowing nothing about reeds, I took my bass drone out, and decided I didn't like the way the reed looked, so I decided to shave it with a pair of scissors, like you would a chanter reed. I thought you did the same thing to both!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #34
keydetpiper
Forum Clasp

Left my chanter and cap on the bus after a competition....

Broke a very nice and very comfortable Naill wooden Naill chanter by twisting from the bottom....

During a VMI parade we were supposed to play AG together with the brass band to honor an alum who had died recently. I had the solo at the beginning, played it beautifully, the time came for the other 8 pipers to start playing.... a few squeaks and squawks, then nothing. I ended up playing a 4 part solo accompanied by the brass band.

A previous pipe major was pretty pissed at the band after a poor showing in a competition, packed up his stuff and drove off, leaving his pipes sitting on the field. Other band members brought it back to him.

The band introduced a stuffed elephant named Angus, presented to any member of the band who lost or forgot something. As he was being introduced, I was thinking, "At least I won't be the first one to have the elephant." Guess who left his music at practice that night?

A friend had brought her pipes out at a bonfire party. After playing, she laid them on the case and stuffed it under a bush. A bit of roughhousing ensued, someone got pushed into the bush, broke the bass drone in half. Ouch!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #35
ABW1
Forum Member

Don't know if this is dumb. But have you ever asked someone to hold your pipes and they put their hands on the mouthpiece part of the blow stick?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #36
PipePlayr
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
forgot my bagpipes going to a gig.
.........forgot the gig.......
Old 03-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
Kirby Allen
Holy smoking keyboard!

Was holding a set of pipes near a fan with a low ceiling. It didn't hurt the pipes but it gave me a nice solid smack on the forehead.

http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/
Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 AM   #38
snowbear
Forum Silver Medal

I played with a guy who had got his pipes from his elder brother. He did'nt think of removing the chanter when not playing, so it had been in there with the reed for about a year. The instructor mentioned the sound, and decided to check the reed. To his big surprise; It was black. We had great fun with his little mushroom-farm, thinking about all the problems he would get in a security control at the airport.

He got a fresh, new (non smelling) reed.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #39
Ian Turnbull
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipePlayr View Post
.........forgot the gig.......

me too!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #40
codart
Forum Regular

My very first band gig hung no.1's up in car everything on hangers only I decided to lay my kilt out on back seat to avoid crushing it. Transferred all to coach for journey to gig half way there realized I had left kilt on back seat.... made walk of shame to front of coach to tell PM no kilt - band was already a little light in numbers

When we got there it was pouring down so we wore capes, I went night shopping and bought some lycra shorts and wore full no.1s with cape and no kilt. Not sure if anyone noticed due to wind direction etc but we 'seemed' to get away with it