Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Default Tuning chamber concern

Hello I just would like to know if this is anything to worry about or if itís fine.

I was rehemping my tuning pins yesterday, I moved them up and down, the lower I moved the tenor drone tops the tighter the tuning joints got.

Note: This was when they were super low, I donít think Iíd ever tune them that low on the pins.

I know itís wood and it changes, but again Iím just wondering if itís a cause for concern or if Iím just over worrying about it and am fine.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tuning chamber concern.

WBpiper,

This is not... uncommon... so you most probably
should not have... too much worry about it.

If... if... it should become remarkably worse... in
that the (for lack of a better term) "slide range"
becomes appreciably more (and more) restricted...
then you may have to send it off for a refurbishment...
and have its innards... adjusted. :)

But for the nonce... hemp adjustment should serve. :)

Regards,

Pip01

Old 05-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Tuning chamber concern

It's normal, not deleterious, and doesn't need fixing urgently.

A pipemaker can easily ream them back to cylinders, but I wouldn't worry about it until they're in for something else or it becomes a problem. It's certainly making no difference to your sound.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Phew!

Thanks.

As I said I don't think I'll ever tune the drones that low anyways

With that being said I really shouldn't be surprised, surely old Heirloom Hendersons, Lawries, MacDougall, etc... would not exactly be "straight"
Old 05-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
Pip01
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBpiper

surely old Heirloom Hendersons, Lawries, MacDougall, etc... would not exactly be "straight" :)

Hmm... and... alas!! :) (It now dawns upon me. :)

And th' same... might possibly be said... of some of
our... and we... older pipers... being sometimes (and
with the help... of a bit o' th' Guinness :) "out of kilter"...
... as we sometimes find ourselves :)... though I don't
quite fancy... that the appellation of ... "heirloom"...
would ever be... much be in order... :)

Last edited by Pip01; 05-25-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Pip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Personally I want the bores of the tone chambers to be nice and parallel.

Now you said that the tone chamber got narrower as it got deeper?

So if we are seeing the drone upright the chamber is / \ ?

So the further in the pin goes the tighter it gets?

In my experience that's not nearly as common as the opposite \ / where the tone chamber narrows under the ferrule, and widens as you go up deeper into the chamber.

As people are saying with tenor drones tuned way up high on the pins it doesn't matter much either way, because the hemp on the pins is under where the ferrules are, and the pin doesn't have to go any deeper into the chamber.

Where it's really crucial are on the bass bottom pin, where generally you need the whole bore of the bass midsection chamber to be parallel | | because with many pipes the bass bottom tunes around the middle or below.

The tenors can need to be perfectly parallel too if they want to tune lower on the pins, say around midpoint.

In any case it's an easy fix. You need one of these, in the correct size for the chamber you're going to make parallel

https://www.amazon.com/OMEX-Expandin.../dp/B01CEJG18O

I have some of these and it's very easy and quick to make a tone chamber perfectly parallel. I was told about it, actually, by a pipe maker! I had sent a couple sets of pipes to him to have the tone chambers reamed and he told me "you know, I don't put pipes on the lathe for that. It's done by hand. The tool is cheap and you can do it yourself".

So I followed his advice. I've fixed a couple sets of mine, and a couple sets of friends.

No it doesn't hurt the pipes. No it doesn't change the sound. None of that. You're doing the same thing you'd pay a pipe maker to do.

The amount of wood you remove is VERY small. (Just some sawdust.) And usually you're removing it from under the ferrules, where it has no acoustic impact anyway.

BTW the pipe maker also explained his theory as to why, on so many pipes, the tone chambers are narrowest right under the ferrules: he says the tone chambers were bored parallel, but when tight ferrules are put on the wood is gradually squeezed there, or at least unable to expand, and the wood gradually expands where the ferrule isn't.

BTW in my experience old sets have very straight parallel bores. It's new pipes that have the biggest issues I've seen.

An example was the c1905 ebony Lawries I had. They had been sitting over a fireplace for 30 years. There wasn't a single crack or warp in the wood and the chambers were perfectly parallel. (Looks like they never had a fire going!)

Last edited by pancelticpiper; 05-25-2020 at 05:25 PM.
pancelticpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Yes the tuning chambers would probably look like / \. And yes it gradually gets tighter as the pin goes deeper.

But I’m not really too concerned about it anymore, given what Callum and Pip said, and the fact that they only get really tight when I go really low. So I’ll leave it as is.

That’s interesting about those old Lawries. Hmmm.

EDIT: I should note that they haven’t been played in a while, also right now they are bagless, as I am waiting for my new Canmore hybrid.

Could the wood may have just moved from dryness?

Last edited by WBpiper; 05-25-2020 at 06:25 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Update.

This is really embarrassing, I’m such an idiot lol. I fixed it.

It wasn’t the tuning chambers, it was my fault from doing a ****ty hemping job!

Since the drones are sticks only, I slowly turned the drones around, my tenor tops were warbling similar to how you’d see an unbalanced top loading washing machine drum!

I rehemped the joints, slowly and evenly, and now they move up and down with ease. My previous hemping job was most certainly done too fast!

I am embarrassed and relieved. Phew!

Last edited by WBpiper; 05-25-2020 at 06:58 PM.
WBpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #9
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

[QUOTE=WBpiper;1346002]Update.

This is really embarrassing, Iím such an idiot lol. I fixed it.

It wasnít the tuning chambers, it was my fault from doing a ****ty hemping job
![/QUOTE]
G

....pfzzzz. You owe us each at least one pint next time we meet.
el gaitero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Of the black stuff or light stuff?