Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #61
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Worst Advice Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy Livingstone View Post
My own experience of the behaviours of the bass front in particular is that the relative optimum positions of the top and bottom joints, and how to achieve the best harmonic effect, has altered slightly as pitch has risen. Add to this that the optimum positions will vary from one maker to another, and even one set of pipes to another from the same maker, and itís just a whole world of variables!
I remember years ago chatting with Jimmy McColl and noticing that he had his two bass joints equal, both around mid-point. I had played vintage Lawries for ages, and those basses were happiest with the top pin high, hemp showing, and the bottom pin low, around a finger's-breadth.

I asked Jimmy about it, and he said yes that it was common for basses to play best with the high/low thing, but his particular bass wanted to be in that equal-pin setup.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #62
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Yes - not sure if he still does, but Angus MacColl played a cane bass in his Hendersons for a long time with both bass slides wide open.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:41 PM   #63
blackeagle
Forum Regular

Had an instructor tell me I was out blowing the reed I had and suggested I start using a harder reed. Not bad advice per se, but bad timing.

This was about 3 days prior to my grandfathers funeral, at which I'd volunteered to play Taps and Amazing Grace. The military firing party got off their 3 volleys and I made it through Taps, but was too exhausted by the reed to finish Amazing Grace without collapsing. I was tremendously embarrassed that I couldn't finish the tune but thankful it was a family funeral, the military firing party being the only outsiders.

My self consciousness soured me on piping in public for quite a while. Then I moved somewhere that had no pipers, so I took up online lessons. I practiced in secluded areas where I thought I wouldn't bug folks, and one day a coworker ran across me practicing. He said his church was hoping to find a piper to play Amazing Grace at a funeral. My anxiety spiked a bit but I said ok. On the day, the pastor gave his signal and I struck in...if pipes were angels, I felt as though I were playing a heavenly choir for those few minutes that day.

My lesson learned was, while advice may be sound, it doesn't always produce a good one.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #64
WBpiper
Forum Gold Medal

Edit: Wrong thread.
Old 06-08-2020, 12:34 PM   #65
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackeagle View Post
Had an instructor tell me I was out blowing the reed I had and suggested I start using a harder reed. Not bad advice per se, but bad timing.

This was about 3 days prior to my grandfathers funeral...
Yes 3 days on a new reed, and one harder than you're used to, isn't probably going to be enough.

For gigs I want a trusted well blown-in reed, so there are no surprises!

Actually I prefer having a reed that's in its Golden Years for gigs because you never know what might happen.

Like the time I thought I wasn't going to be playing much at a wedding, and ended up having to play for nearly two hours. Or the time at a funeral I played Amazing Grace my usual three times but then the widow yelled at me to keep playing it, over and over. I think I played that tune for 15 minutes, which doesn't sound like much until you play Amazing Grace for 15 minutes.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #66
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
I think I played that tune for 15 minutes, which doesn't sound like much until you play Amazing Grace for 15 minutes.
Oh ya!! Did you have to keep going until you dropped...'we've got a piper down!!'
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #67
stever
Forum Regular

My worst advice was pre- competition putting ice chips into my sheepskin bag. Killed my bag in about three weeks after that. Not sure it helped our tone.
stever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #68
Rab Ha
Forum Regular

"Use this Dremel on your chanter."
Old 06-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #69
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab Ha View Post
"Use this Dremel on your chanter."
Ohhh Jeeeeez NOT THE DREMEL!! That is a classic, and advice of the worst degree.

I have inherited a chanter with a set of pipes from someone who must have had shares in dremel. It IS impossible to birl on that chanter as the low A is a weird oblong shape which your pinkie disappears into. I've got reasonably large hands too, so god knows what size of shovels the lad that had the chanter before had!

The chanter is, well........useless tbh.
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 03:35 PM   #70
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

"Here, a pint and a shot will relax you......"