Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Technique & Instrument
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Technique & Instrument Related to techniques, to the instrument, to the components, to maintenance.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #1
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Default Fagerstrom HG Stinking

Is there anyway to load an in tune HG on to the Fagerstrom TechnoPipes? The one that comes as standard on the GHB setting is stinking!

Because of that I hardly ever use it, which is a shame.

Any ideas?
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-03-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Fagerstrom HG Stinking

Not sure about fixing it, but the issue is that the notes have been tuned to equal temperament - you'll notice C is well out with the A as well.

If it can produce a MIDI out, it could be patched into a synthesizer programmed to play the correct pitches, but that's a tedious business.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:24 AM   #3
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
Not sure about fixing it, but the issue is that the notes have been tuned to equal temperament - you'll notice C is well out with the A as well.

If it can produce a MIDI out, it could be patched into a synthesizer programmed to play the correct pitches, but that's a tedious business.
Yeah, the small pipe setting isn't too bad at all, but the GHB is howling. Didn't know if you could reprogram it?

Yeah, it does the midi out but as you say it's tedious and over the top, like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Can't imagine a set up like that would be very portable.
Imagine trying to catch a flight with suitcases of gear just so my HG was in tune
Old 06-04-2020, 06:36 AM   #4
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

What do you mean by stinking and howling?

Is it crackling or making a pure even tone?

If a pure tone is it flat or sharp?

I just listened to mine and it's a good normal in-tune High G.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #5
Kevin
Holy smoking keyboard!

What are you using to listen, ear buds or a mini amp/speaker? I used to have a horrible sounding B but discovered that it only sounded bad with a cheap mini speaker I was using. Ear buds and a different speaker fixed the problem.

Good luck with it,
Kevin

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
Kintailpipes
Forum Regular

Did you check the batteries?
i have a GHB, Keyless NSP and now the 7 keyed NSP models. i love them just need to keep hand moisturized
Kintailpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Used it with all kinds of amps and headphones and it's always the same. It just how it is.

I recorded a wee clip, you can hear for yourselves (and see my double chin).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq9e3_mOvxo

Messed up my last birl, but you get the drift. I would use the GHB setting more if it was what I would term 'in tune'. Small pipes sound grand though. That's the setting they stay on 99.9% of the time.

Its a great wee thing for travel, I use it a lot when I am away. Just a minor (or major? ) gripe with it that I'd love to solve.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:50 AM   #8
Anders Fagerstrom
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Hi.
I sent a message to you a couple of days ago from this forum, but perhaps you didn't get it. Please get in contact with me via email (anders@fagerstrom.com) and we'll see what can be done, ok?

Best,
Anders (the maker)
Anders Fagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:14 AM   #9
Big Tone
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

A wee bit of tape would fix that?

On a more serious note, I have a Blair chanter and don't use the GHB setting on it much, mostly the small pipes. The GHB doesn't sound bad just 'not right' in some way. Could be it just sounds a bit off to your ears and if it's just that note it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
Used it with all kinds of amps and headphones and it's always the same. It just how it is.

I recorded a wee clip, you can hear for yourselves (and see my double chin).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq9e3_mOvxo

Messed up my last birl, but you get the drift. I would use the GHB setting more if it was what I would term 'in tune'. Small pipes sound grand though. That's the setting they stay on 99.9% of the time.

Its a great wee thing for travel, I use it a lot when I am away. Just a minor (or major? ) gripe with it that I'd love to solve.
Big Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Silver Medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Fagerstrom View Post
Hi.
I sent a message to you a couple of days ago from this forum, but perhaps you didn't get it. Please get in contact with me via email (anders@fagerstrom.com) and we'll see what can be done, ok?

Best,
Anders (the maker)
Hello Anders,

Thanks for reaching out to me. I didn't get the message, but I have dropped you an email.