Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Beer Tent
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beer Tent The general discussion forum, and the place to start a new "beer-tent-like" Piping Related discussion...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 11-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #31
burp birl
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Re: Glenfiddich pipes and chanter makes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_hm View Post
Might be the throat of the chanter that is wonky if you can't get a proper scale. Drying and warping over time may have caused it. Is Teddy Krogh up your way? Perhaps he could look at it.
Teddy is up here. I'll see if he can't help me out. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #32
pancelticpiper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac an t-Sealgair View Post
if you listen without using one of the fandangled meters
This implies that none of the judges, or other listeners, have a memory for pitch (what we call Perfect Pitch is just the ability to remember).

I've known a number of Pipe Majors, judges, and tonemeisters who have what could be called the piping version of Perfect Pitch. They know, without looking at a meter, the exact pitch they're hearing.

I had a band going well, I thought, then the Pipe Major walked up and said "you're flat" and sure enough when I checked on a meter we had gone a few cents flat. The PM didn't have a meter on him.

I saw a tonemeister/reedmaker tune up a set of new chanters we just received. One at a time he took a chanter out of the box, popped in one of his reeds, mouth-blew it, put tape on a few holes, and handed it to one of the pipers without testing it further. He had no tuner, no reference piper playing, going only by his pitch-memory.

When the band struck up we had remarkable tone. (Well, our drones needed touching up!)
Old 11-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #33
Green Piper
Holy smoking keyboard!

Default Glenfiddich pipes and chanter makes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancelticpiper View Post
This implies that none of the judges, or other listeners, have a memory for pitch (what we call Perfect Pitch is just the ability to remember).

Or the judges could hear it but were not hung-up on pitch.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #34
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Pancelticpiper, what I mean is it doesn't matter a jot. I can't understand why so many people are hell bent on straining to hit certain Hz, rather than tune a chanter, balance it with drone and play a great tune

Folk are to busy playing with their new fangled toys, they get caught up in the numbers and forget the music. 470, 475, 480 who cares? Does it sound good?
Mac an t-Sealgair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #35
el gaitero
Holy smoking keyboard!

Quote:
Pancelticpiper, what I mean is it doesn't matter a jot. I can't understand why so many people are hell bent on straining to hit certain Hz, rather than tune a chanter, balance it with drone and play a great tune

Folk are to busy playing with their new fangled toys, they get caught up in the numbers and forget the music. 470, 475, 480 who cares? Does it sound good?
...especially bin massed bands...
el gaitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #36
Dan Bell
Forum Clasp

Quote:

I don't think professional-level solo competitors are worrying about a given number. I think they do mostly want to stay within the same general range where their peers are pitching. They don't want to be the outlier. If the player before you was at 480 and you take the stage at 466, it's going to stand out, and not necessarily in a positive way (the psycho-accoustics of pitch have been discussed extensively elsewhere).

Most modern reeds and chanters are designed to behave at their best in the range around 480ish. That's where they'll be the most stable and require the least fiddling. High-level players demand the stability as there is no room for the pitch to drift during a long tune, and they want to spend their time practicing/playing, not messing with reeds.

As a sweeping generalization, the design of chanters is largely driven by the needs of pipe bands, who buy the most chanters. A soloist might well play the same chanter for 20 years; I doubt if many bands do.
Dan Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #37
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bell View Post
I don't think professional-level solo competitors are worrying about a given number
And neither do I. I mean more generally in piping, and I understand where you are coming from regards competition, but to you and I what does it matter?
Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM   #38
CalumII
Holy smoking keyboard!

On pitch memory, it is a skill that develops. I know a singer who does not have perfect pitch but will maintain pitch memory for hours, and she attributes it entirely to many years of leading choir rehearsals.
CalumII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #39
piper_hm
Forum Clasp

Quote:
And neither do I. I mean more generally in piping, and I understand where you are coming from regards competition, but to you and I what does it matter?
Well, they may not 'worry' about it, but they're aware that they should be pitching in the 480 ballpark.
piper_hm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM   #40
Mac an t-Sealgair
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalumII View Post
On pitch memory, it is a skill that develops. I know a singer who does not have perfect pitch but will maintain pitch memory for hours, and she attributes it entirely to many years of leading choir rehearsals.
That is a great example of developing an ear, something sorely lacking these days. Or maybe I'm just getting old!