Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Pipe Bands
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pipe Bands For everything or anything related to Pipe Bands..

Platinum Sponsors

Old 09-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #1
Michael Faughnan
Forum Regular

Default Thistle Gildry Pipe Band, NY City circa 1950s

Hello,

I have read of the Thistle Gildry Pipe Band in New York City in regard to Bob Gilchrist being Pipe Major in the 1950's. Does anyone know much about this Pipe Band? What does the name reference? When they started or disbanded ? Any competitive achievements or notable personnel? What Tartan or sponsor?

Just continuing on my quest to collect info on Bands in the NY City area..

Michael
Michael Faughnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 09-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #2
pat martens
Forum Regular

Default Re: Thistle Gildry Pipe Band, NY City circa 1950's

Michael,

Joe Brady Sr was P/M of the Thistle Guildry band.....Im sure he can tell you all the info.

Pat
pat martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Michael Faughnan
Forum Regular

Thanks Pat. Was trying to develop some traction or dialogue here with people who might know about some of the older bands in the NY City area and the people who influenced their development. Hoping they might share stories or history with us. I will follow up with Joe who has been such a positive influence for many of the bands in the area over the years.

For people not in the area there is a good article in the Spring 2010 EUSPB Voice highlighting Joe on his well deserved receipt of the R.G. Hardie Services to Piping Award this past Winter.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Faughnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Peigi Mulligan
Forum Member

Michael, to to fultonhistory.com, they have online newspapers, searchable. It's where I've found info on Yonkers Kilties.
Peigi Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
pat martens
Forum Regular

Hi Mike,

I have always been a bit of a buff in regards to pipe bands in the Tri State area as you may know. I know a lot of the old histories and will gladly share what I know. I have gone out of my way to meet most of the old timers and talk to them and have a lot of memories about people and events so ask away.

Pat
pat martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
jviss
Forum Member

(Resurrecting this old thread, as I just joined the forum.)

My father, Ed Visser, played with the Thistle Guildry Pipe Band, with Joe Brady, Sr. (already mentioned), and with the notable piper, "Billy Barr," now U.S. Attorney General William Barr, in the 1960's.

The instructor I knew who was associated with the band was Pipe Major John McKenzie, 6th Bat. H.L.I., retired. He was my father's instructor, and I know he was Williams Barr's, as well.

They met at the Second Presbyterian Church on 96th St. and Central Park West. I think the pipe band was an adjunct to the Thistle Guildry, a Scottish Society. Highland dance was taught there, too, with the instructor at the time being Jean "Aunt Jean" Waters. My two brothers and I did highland dance there, and entered competitions at the highland games we attended.

I remember a female piper named Joyce Fox.

I can't remember any more names at the moment. If I recall or learn more I'll add it here. I'm sure Joe Brady, Jr., can add much more if he can be reached.

jv
jviss is offline   Reply With Quote