Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > Great Highland Bagpipe > Beginners, Intermediate, +
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Beginners, Intermediate, + Discuss issues, tackle problems, share experiences, ask questions, and look for specific help...

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
mattyj
Forum Member

mattyj
Default explaining Jig vs reel vs hornpipe

This may sound a bit odd, but up until now I have been learning marches. Can someone explain exactly what the difference's are between a jig,reel and hornpipe? I have listened to them, but what musically defines each?
mattyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
Richard Mao

Richard Mao is on a distinguished road
Default Re: explaining Jig vs reel vs hornpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj
This may sound a bit odd, but up until now I have been learning marches. Can someone explain exactly what the difference's are between a jig,reel and hornpipe? I have listened to them, but what musically defines each?
hmmmm.... listening to them is not enough....

a preliminary cut at an explanation ....

you need to see the dancers dance them... while listening...

and pulse and execute your performance of the music to support the dancer's movements... hit the beats... when they hit the floor.... hold the notes when they are in the air... glide when they glide....

(now the competition stuff is a bit different .... this is more like pipers compositions being played for enjoyment by other pipers... who appreciate the fancy / dense/ fast fingering... built around the skeleton of the time signature of the underlying dance)...

hope these links help...

sailor's hornpipe... 4/4

hornpipe

Crossing the Minch....

irish jig 6/8

irish jig

beginners jig showing strong pulsing

irish jig at a scottish highland games competiton

guys and gals jig differently

the strathspey 4/4 time..... the reel 2/2 time

contrasting the up and down of the strathspey with the flow of the reel

a flowing country dance reel

I'd welcome any additions in insight and examples... from other forumites... better definitions maybe?

cheers

Richard Mao, The Peking Piper ( richardmao@rocketmail.com )

What does a bagpipe teacher make? .. hopefully I make a difference.
Paraphrase Taylor Mali

Richard Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:41 AM   #3
mattyj
Forum Member

mattyj

A little help. But let me ask you this. When a tune is written, what determines if it is called a jig,reel or hornpipe? Is it the time signature,cuts & holds etc....?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
Randy Erickson
Forum Silver Medal

Randy Erickson

Quote:
A little help. But let me ask you this. When a tune is written, what determines if it is called a jig,reel or hornpipe? Is it the time signature,cuts & holds etc....?
I think you are approaching this from a different point of view, mattyj.

As Richard says, a jig, reel, hornpipe, (or strathspey for that matter) is a type/style of dance, so a a jig, reel, hornpipe, or strathspey tune is one which is suitable for the particular dance style.

Yes, the time signature, pointing, etc. come into play also, but the underlying distinction is in the dance itself.

As a poor analogy, you wouldn't dance the Charleston to a foxtrot tune, right? Or waltz to hip-hop?

Hope this helps,
Randy
Randy Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Richard Mao

Richard Mao is on a distinguished road

Quote:
When a tune is written, what determines if it is called a jig,reel or hornpipe?
The simple answer is: You read it off the top of the sheet music of the tune.... because it's printed there...

(but I can never let it go with a short/sweet/simple answer ... sooooooooooooooooooooooo )

ostensibly the composer had an idea in mind of the purpose and intent of the use of the music he/she composed...

and it behooves the composer to write the name of the type of tune (jig, reel, hornpipe) in the title line of the tune in any printed/published copy of the tune. (It should not have to be self evident to the musician by looking only at the notes.)

and hopefully the composer knows what the appropriate time signatures and phrasings and structure should be for the intended dance.

so the intent come first, the signature, cuts & holds.... are "formulaic fences" within which a tune of such intent is written.

e.g. a jig is in 6/8, 9/8, 12/8 time.... tends to flow so eighths and quarters.... not often written dot cut..

most reels traditionally are written in 2/2 time to accomodate the eight (and 16) step dancing phrasing... and the one, two, or four notes per beat. Four notes per beat are typically in eighths, dotted eighths and sixteenths.

most hornpipes are traditionally written in 2/4 time, so the four note groupings for a beat... have a lot of 16ths, dotted sixteenths, and 32ths... and the parts the tune often end in a couple of eighths so the dancer can come to a "calm" end to one of the otherwise frenetic dancing phrases, typically 16 beat phrases.

and all of this is written within the normal piping structure of 8 bars per part (sometimes four bars repeated)....

=====

(this is leaving out the competition type of tune that tends to put in more notes... and technique... this leaves out the musicians freedom e.g. to interpret a reel dead round and play it as a hornpipe.)

hope this better addresses what you were aiming at with your question...

Richard Mao, The Peking Piper ( richardmao@rocketmail.com )

What does a bagpipe teacher make? .. hopefully I make a difference.
Paraphrase Taylor Mali
Richard Mao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
mattyj
Forum Member

mattyj

That answers my question....thank you. I understand it now.