Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
nazpiper
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to nazpiper
Default Barry Shears New Book

I know Mr. Shears is a moderator for this forum. I wanted to congratulate him on his new book, I ordered it and I am looking forward to reading it. There did not appear to be much information until now regarding pipers and tradition in Nova Scotia. Good luck with sales.
Dance To The Piper: The Highland Bagpipe Tradition In Nova Scotia
nazpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 05-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Glenn Dreyer
Forum Regular

Default Re: Barry Shears New Book

I second that emotion. Now the question is: When does it actually go on sale?
Glenn Dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
Miniracer
Forum Silver Medal

It looks like you can order it from Nimbus Press in Halifax, www.nimbus.ns.ca.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
Glenn Dreyer
Forum Regular

Right you are, Miniracer. Thanks.
Glenn Dreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Barry Shears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazpiper
I know Mr. Shears is a moderator for this forum. I wanted to congratulate him on his new book, I ordered it and I am looking forward to reading it. There did not appear to be much information until now regarding pipers and tradition in Nova Scotia. Good luck with sales.
Dance To The Piper: The Highland Bagpipe Tradition In Nova Scotia
Thanks for the interest and show of support. I have just finished proof reading most of the text and the book and CD should be available in June.
A word about the book and CD seems appropriate at this time:

The book is based on Master of Arts thesis which I completed in 2005 and alot of what I had to remove for academia, I have re-inserted to give it a more readable format and I have added a chapter on army piping listing information on immgrant pipers from the Seven years war, the American Revolution, The Napoleonic Wars, The Crimean war and also NS pipers' involvement in the two world wars of the 20th century.
The book has approximately 60 photographs and charts ( some have been used previously in my music books, while others have never been published before) vignettes of several of the Hereditary or family pipers such as the MacIntyres of Rannoch(later South Uist), The MacKays of Gairloch, Rankins and John MacGillvray, in addition to several lesser known piping familes from the Outer Hebrides to Cape Breton.
Several of the chapters highlight the varius functions of the piper in Gaelic society in NS and examines the traditions of dance playing, playing for weddings and funerals, military piping, and the local manufacture of bagpipes in 19th century Nova Scotia.
Also included with the book is a cd (for educational purposes)containing some of the earliest performances of recorded pipe music in Nova Scotia (1923), as well as examples of old style bagpipe performances from field recordings made and collected over the past 25 years.These recordings illustrate the regional differences of playing which existed in Maritime Canada until very recently and also highlights the importance of the oral transmission of tunes and the influence of the older style of bagpipe peformance on the Cape Breton fiddling tradition - a successful blend of ear-learned piping and early 20th century literate piping techniques.

The book can be ordered from me when it becomes available (just drop me an email to request shipping costs)

or from Cape Breton University Press or Nimbus Publishing (the links for which appear in the previous posts).

thanks and I hope everyone enjoys the book,
Cheers,
Barry Shears
Barry Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Ian Robertson
Forum Regular

Hello Barry,

This is wonderful news! I have much enjoyed and admired your previous (three!) books of Cape Breton pipe music and history--this latest book promises to complement them very nicely indeed. Do you have any preferences as to whether or not we order from you or CBUPress/Nimbus?

Congratulations--and thanks for making all this great research available to us.

Cheers,

Ian
Ian Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Barry Shears

Ian,
Thanks for the kind words. As for ordering I will have precise details next month. {You could always order directly from me so I can retire to that condo in Florida.. (wink Wink)}
Actually I have permission from the publisher to market the book myself, and as such, I would receive a greater return for my efforts. I find most pipers are, at the very least amateur historians, and so I figured this forum would reach the greatest number of pipers who might be interested in my research but ultimately it's up to the buyer to decide from where to order the book.
Cheers,
Barry
Old 06-06-2008, 07:04 AM   #8
Ian Robertson
Forum Regular

Barry,

Thanks for the information--it sounds like purchasing the book from you is the best way to go. I will make an order when details are in.

Cheers,

Ian
Ian Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Tom MacKenzie
Holy smoking keyboard!

Barry,
I put my order in with Nimbus publishing about 2 weeks ago.
Nothing yet. It would be nice to get a signed copy though.

I have also asked Paul Cranford to contact you re: sales.

tomm
Old 06-18-2008, 03:30 AM   #10
Barry Shears

Well the proofs are finished and the book should be out in early July. The university is planning a series of lecture/ performances for Scotland in October showcasing three books in its Cape Breton culture series one book on CB fiddling by Glenn Graham, a collection of original Gaelic poems by Lewis MacKinnon and my book on piping.

Available in July, 2008

Dance to the Piper: The Highland Bagpipe in Nova Scotia by Barry W. Shears
Published by Cape Breton University Press, Sydney, Cape Breton.
6x9 inches , 220 pages, 60 photographs and illustrations, and accompanying CD.

The instrument of choice for early Celtic societies, the bagpipe became integral to Highland Society in Scotland and thus of Nova Scotia, evolving from ethnic to iconic. During the last century, bagpiping became a cultural icon in Nova Scotia and, as a result, the object of stereotyping and misconception. In Dance to the Piper, Barry Shears examines the history and traditions of Gaelic-speaking pipers whose emigration to Nova Scotia ensured that the role and music of Highland piping not only survived, but thrived.

Mr. Shears provides historical background and analysis as to why their cultural reality endured in Nova Scotia and he reviews many social economic and cultural developments which altered the status, role and perception of the piper in society.

This book is based on my 2005 Masters thesis from Saint Mary’s University in Halifax and is an examination of the highland bagpipe tradition in Nova Scotia from 1773 to 1997. It details the development of a Gaelic influenced piping community and covers dance piping, bagpipe making, army piping references from the Seven Years War to the post WWII period, and the changing role of the piper in Nova Scotia society over this period.
The attached appendices also list the names of immigrant pipers to Nova Scotia during the period 1773- 1849 and their first and second generation piping descendants, the names of Scottish pipers from the Lowlands who came to Nova Scotia in the post-immigration period 1890-1950, references to local bagpipe makers, tips on playing Cape Breton style music and the differences between competition music and dance music.

Also included with the book is a non-commercial CD which contains recorded performances of Nova Scotia pipers from 1923 to 2007. These performances were taken from well-worn 78 RPM records (and therefore not pristine) and homemade tape recordings of several of the pipers listed in the book. Most of the performers were in their 60s, 70s and 80s when the recordings were made and well past their prime but the variety of playing styles illustrates regional differences in bagpipe technique and performance in 20th century Nova Scotia. The CD also includes performances by three well-known Cape Breton fiddlers playing bagpipe tunes on the violin to further highlight the relationship between the bagpipe and fiddle traditions of the new world Gaidhealtachd. The performers include Pipe Major MacKenzie Baillie, Pipe Major Rod Nicholson, Pipe Major Duncan MacIntyre, Joe Hughie MacIntyre, Jimmy MacArthur, Alex Currie, Rory MacKinnon, Buddy MacMaster, John Willie Campbell, and several others.

Price $23.95; Shipping and handling: Canada $3.50; United States $6.50; International $13.50 Air mail, $8.00 Surface. Payment Options: Cheque or Money Order.
Please send payment and return mailing address to:

Barry Shears
6222 Jubilee Rd
Halifax NS B3H 2G2
Canada

For further information please contact
Barry Shears
Home Tel # (902) 423-5305 or by email: caper@ns.sympatico.ca