Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Discuss specific tunes, the writing of tunes, other questions, concerns, etc. related specifically to the music or music books.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 07-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
Fatboy63
Forum Member - Shy or Quiet

Fatboy63 is on a distinguished road
Default My Land

Hey All,
Does anyone know if there is an offical copy of "My Land" out in piping world. When I was in a band, that was one of the tunes that was played. But there was a section of the tune (second part - third measure) that was written/doctored up by the pipe major(at the time). I was just curious to know if there was an "original" version floating around. And if so how could I get a copy of it.
Fatboy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 07-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Jim McGillivray

Jim McGillivray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Land

www.pipetunes.ca

Look under "Tunes with 1, 2 or 3 parts," ---> "3/4 marches" or just search for "My Land."

JM
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Neill Mulvie
Forum Regular

Neill Mulvie

Jim

I notice that My Land is listed asTrad on your site.

I think it was composed by Norman MacLean Mod Gold Medallist, winner of the Bardic Crown, singer and piper.

Regards

Neill
Neill Mulvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Jürgen Rech
Forum Clasp

Jürgen Rech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Mulvie View Post
Jim

I notice that My Land is listed asTrad on your site.

I think it was composed by Norman MacLean Mod Gold Medallist, winner of the Bardic Crown, singer and piper.

Regards

Neill
In Don Bishop's harmony books it's listed as trad. as well (as is Mull of Kintyre, Highland Cathedral et al. ). I hope Jim didn't use those books as reference.

Cheers, Jurgen
Old 07-26-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
Neill Mulvie
Forum Regular

Neill Mulvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Rech View Post
In Don Bishop's harmony books it's listed as trad. as well (as is Mull of Kintyre, Highland Cathedral et al. ). I hope Jim didn't use those books as reference.

Cheers, Jurgen
Neither Mull of Kintyre (by Paul McCartney) nor Highland Cathedral (by Uli Roever & Michael Korb) are traditional.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
John MacDonald
Holy smoking keyboard!

John MacDonald
Send a message via Yahoo to John MacDonald Send a message via Skype™ to John MacDonald

I believe that Jim will have a much better knowledge of what is Trad even without theb research that he conducts into the musics origins .
Old 07-26-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
pipesofdoom
Holy smoking keyboard!

pipesofdoom

I had the impression from the end-phrase of the tune, that it was a late-nineteenth / 20th century composition? You ought to be able to get free copies of "trad tunes" (ie, out of copyright), but not sure if this one is still in copyright or not. There used to be huge amounts of free BMW tunes on the net, but I think most of those have been taken down because of carelessness as to whether the tunes were public domain or not. Copyright is funny like that - It's often easier to find out when the composer was born, but harder (and a less tasteful enquiry) to work out when they died.

Was looking through the Cairngorm 2/4 Marches book last night and they give Paardeburg as "Trad", even though it was written during the Boer War. I am sure that Piper in Peace and War mentions the composer (will check this). Even so, unlikely to still be copyright now.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Jürgen Rech
Forum Clasp

Jürgen Rech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill Mulvie View Post
Neither Mull of Kintyre (by Paul McCartney) nor Highland Cathedral (by Uli Roever & Michael Korb) are traditional.
That's why I wrote it how I wrote it. Those both mistakes are only the most obvious in these books - and of course I'm sure that Jim knows what he's doing.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #9
Neill Mulvie
Forum Regular

Neill Mulvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipesofdoom View Post
I had the impression from the end-phrase of the tune, that it was a late-nineteenth / 20th century composition? You ought to be able to get free copies of "trad tunes" (ie, out of copyright), but not sure if this one is still in copyright or not.
Norman MacLean is still with us or at least he was last week when I saw him at the South Uist Games so the tune is still in copyright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MacDonald View Post
I believe that Jim will have a much better knowledge of what is Trad even without theb research that he conducts into the musics origins .
Jim is one of the best informed and knowledgeable pipers I know and he is very careful with everything he publishes. But like all of us he doesn't know everything (and that is not a criticism) and I am sure would not claim that he does.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #10
Jim McGillivray

Jim McGillivray is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, Neill, I appreciate that information very much and I will contact you off-Forum to acquire Norman's contact information. With more than 1,000 tunes on pipetunes now, I've been frequently surprised to discover that many tunes listed as "trad" in most books do in fact have known composers, and that in some cases they are still alive and kicking.

I do my best to contact composers so they can get royalties that are due to them from sales of their music. In other cases, a particular composer's family may still act as custodians of their music, reprinting books, etc., and I try to get hold of them as well and make sure royalty payments are set up. In most cases my efforts are successful and appreciated. In some cases, such as with the two composers of "Highland Cathedral" (one of whom as passed away), my repeated efforts to contact them through their websites have been unsuccessful. My pipetunes program logs sales of all tunes, so should a composer come forward after the fact I am still able to pay them royalties for all past sales.

In some cases I've found a composer who may have passed relatively recently (last 30 years) has no family member who has taken any interest in their tunes, so for all intents and purposes the music has become public domain. Again, should that prove wrong, my sales records are comprehensive.

Fortunately, the monetary amounts involved for any single tune are relatively small, so if I've made errors, no one is being deprived a South Pacific cruise... maybe a Harry Potter movie ticket or two....

Jim
jimmcg@piping.on.ca
Jim McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote