Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > History, Tradition, Heritage
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

History, Tradition, Heritage As related to the subjects of piping, drumming and pipe bands.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Airborne92
Holy smoking keyboard!

Airborne92
Default Flowers of the Forest facts and myths

OK, I'm going to throw this out for confirmation. I've been going back and forth with this guy on youtube regarding playing/practicing Flowers of the Forest. As you can see below, he claims as a Scots Guard to have never played the tune on the pipes except at a funeral. Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLSlEna0rlI

Enferushostis hat auf deinen Kommentar zu The Flowers Of The Forest (Bagpipes) geantwortet: @colonelk I have also played the pipes all my life. I have also had a long career as a piper in the Scots Guards and I can assure you "Flowers of the forest" is not practised on the pipes. It is practised only on the practice chanter. It has nothing to do with curses or any other nonsense. It is simply to ensure the tune remains solumn and special. It is played ONLY at funerals

SCK
Old 01-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Michael New

Michael New is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flowers of the Forest facts and myths

My father served in the Scots Guards 1945-46, and told me years ago that this was true. A piper playing Floo'rs O' The Forest on the pipes would be sardonically asked "where's the body"? For whatever reason it just wasn't done (at least not at that time).

Michael
Old 01-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
the old marshal
Forum Clasp

the old marshal

Yip.........spot on ..never played as practice on the instrument....My Old friend Pipe Major David Black...Ulster Scottish...Royal Artillery was ,I remember asked to play this at a Wedding , a request from the Bride..David as a gentleman....refused in a gentleman like manner.........!!.
We were always told the eve of the Battle a ghostly like apparition appeared at the Mercat Cross in Edinburgh and read out all the names of those who were to fall.........a "bad" day for Scotland....

Last edited by the old marshal; 01-19-2010 at 12:14 AM. Reason: cannae spell
the old marshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
pipesofdoom
Holy smoking keyboard!

pipesofdoom

Second that. Tempting fate to play it or Lochaber No More on the pipes. I like both tunes, but never practice them except for a funeral. Actually, was listening to Donald MacLeod's New York recordings last week and skipped over Lochaber No More for the same reason! Seems wrong to listen to it.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Adam Sanderson

Adam Sanderson is on a distinguished road

I have to agree that Flowers of the Forest does seem to have this consistent code/superstition about it.
Adam Sanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Stryker
Forum Member

Stryker

As a young lad learning the pipes I had an instructor that was a Gordon Highlander during WW1. In additon to what has been already said, the tune was NEVER to be played indoors. To play this inside would be to invite bad luck to the household.
Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
PMT
Holy smoking keyboard!

PMT

I hold to that belief, I never play the tune except at the actual funeral service.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
Steve Anderson
Holy smoking keyboard!

Steve Anderson
Send a message via MSN to Steve Anderson Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Anderson Send a message via Skype™ to Steve Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipesofdoom View Post
Second that. Tempting fate to play it or Lochaber No More on the pipes. I like both tunes, but never practice them except for a funeral. Actually, was listening to Donald MacLeod's New York recordings last week and skipped over Lochaber No More for the same reason! Seems wrong to listen to it.
Flowers of the forest AND Lochaber no More? How deep does this superstition run? Perhaps if they were arranged as a jig..... Seriously, I was not aware of such an opinion surrounding Lochaber
Steve Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
simon macgregor
Forum Member

simon macgregor is on a distinguished road

so my question has to be.......why?
who wrote the tune and what was the influence for writing the tune/history.
simon macgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Bill Urquhart
Holy smoking keyboard!

Bill Urquhart

The tune itself is older than the hills, and has always been called Flowers of the Forest. But today's lyrics were added to it in 1756 by Jean Elliot in remembrance of the Scots that died in 1513 at Flodden Field (in terms of timeline, it would be like someone today writing a song to remember those who died in the American Revolutionary War, to the tune of some old folk song). The original words are either lost or didn't exist before that, and others have written words for it since then.

But for the real "why," I think you just have to listen to it.

Last edited by Bill Urquhart; 01-19-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Bill Urquhart is offline   Reply With Quote