Welcome to
the forums at bobdunsire.com
bobdunsire.com forums
bobdunsire.com forums bobdunsire.com forums
You can reset your password by going here. Be sure to try your current email and any email addresses you may have had in the past.
Otherwise please use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the forums. In order to help you, please provide the following info: Your Display Name from the old forum and any possible email addresses you would have used before. Without that info we cannot locate your account.

Go Back   Bob Dunsire Bagpipe Forums > General Discussion > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviews Reviews of CDs, Music Books, DVDs, etc.

Platinum Sponsors

Old 06-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Crusader175
Forum Member

Crusader175
Default Gannaway Pipe Bags

Hello everyone,
I have a conmore medium bag right now and the bag should get most moisture out. But I have had problems with it. The bag just isn't as effective anymore so my reeds get pretty wet and its just all a mess trying to play sometimes. But I have heard that Synthetic hide bags are the best thing that comes close to a sheepskin. I was wondering if anyone liked this type of bag and if they would recommend it or not
Crusader175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Gold Sponsor
Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
ffpipersfd
Forum Member

ffpipersfd
Default Re: Gannaway Pipe Bags

Crusader,

Take this what it is as I'm a relative new piper only 3.5 years. For the first 3 yrs played a Bannatyne synthetic/hide with what I thought was great results. Last summer our band decided we wanted to start competing, our Piping instructor is a young man that is a Professional Orchestra conductor/Professional Oboe player, and as he says Bagpiping is his hobby. By the way he plays in a Grade 1 band from Canada. Anyways back to the question, he convinced us as a band to get rid of our current bags(various in band) and switch to the Gannaway with no collars and a zipper. He did say for a Grade 4 band going this route was as close as we needed to get to a sheepskin bag. Plus the seasoning is a glycerin based substance and easy to deal with. At the same time he got us to go with Henderson Harmonics with carbon tongue, and got everyone of us to take out our drone stop plugs. What I can say is our starts and stops have been fantastic every since we got accustomed to the new bag. We only have 2 hold outs and thats only do to $$$. I'm convinced for me Gannaway is way better than Bannatyne (again this is for me, both bags are great) and will only replace this bag with another one when needed. Hope this helps. BH
ffpipersfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Nathaniel
Forum Silver Medal

Nathaniel

I use and like Gannaway bags. It sounds like you may need a water trap more than a different bag, maybe?
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
Erik J. Leiken
Forum Regular

Erik J. Leiken
Send a message via AIM to Erik J. Leiken Send a message via Yahoo to Erik J. Leiken

A Gannaway or a hide Monarch bag will help you. I use both (on different sets) and highly recommend them, especially the Monarch. I feel it's slightly better with moisture issues.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Mike Lynch
Forum Clasp

Mike Lynch

Crusader,

I have played Canmore, Moose, Bannatyne Hybrid, L&M Scotian, and Gannaway hide bags and the plain Gannaway is my favorite by far. This is just one comfortable bag that does a very good job of handling moisture (even without a trap) if you prime and dress the bag per Gannaway's directions. There really is very little maintenance involved. I use a Moose valve with a Gannaway bag and this setup works well for me.

I enthusiastically recommend the Gannaway bag.

Mike
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Glyn_Mo
Forum Clasp

Glyn_Mo

The only thing about the Gannaway I didn't like was its size. I got a medium, expecting it to be the same size as other medium sized bags. However, it felt a lot narrower under the arm than a medium Bannatyne or Ross. I felt quite awkward playimg it (I'm 6'2" with quite long arms) and it gave me quite a sore back.

www.manawatuscottish.co.nz
Glyn_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
RandyJ
Forum Regular

RandyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn_Mo View Post
The only thing about the Gannaway I didn't like was its size. I got a medium, expecting it to be the same size as other medium sized bags. However, it felt a lot narrower under the arm than a medium Bannatyne or Ross. I felt quite awkward playimg it (I'm 6'2" with quite long arms) and it gave me quite a sore back.
I think you are right Glyn. I switched to a Gannaway from a Bannatyne and also noticed a difference. But in my case it was for the better. My arms are not long and I probably would have been better served by a Bannatyne extended small. I do like the Gannaway and will likely not go back to a synthitic.
RandyJ is offline   Reply With Quote